Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow speeds

This is a discussion on Slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all I've just recently moved house into a non-cable area so I had to go for Sky broadband, I ...

Marko9Gardinic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow speeds

Hey all

I've just recently moved house into a non-cable area so I had to go for Sky broadband, I was told when ordering it that I would get around 3mb download but it looks like I'm getting under 1mb if I'm reading this correctly?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 992 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 16 db 14 db

To be honest the download speed I can live with if it cant get any better, but I am a big online gamer (PS3 & 360) and I've been told the upload speed is more important for that. I've tried a few games online and the lag has been terrible, is there anyway I can improve it? I'm using the upstairs phone socket as thats where I have my consoles and PC. I'm not too technical minded when it comes to this stuff so bear with me if I dont know what to do

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow speeds

Hi and welcome to the forum. First things first. How are you connected to the phone socket, is it ethernet or wireless? Are you connected to the master socket and are you using extentions? Have you connected microfilters to all used phone sockets? Your noise margin is also high, have you contacted Sky previously concerning poor speeds, in which case you may have been capped?

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to test your Master Socket

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

initially looking I'd say there is some kind of cap there...have you called Sky yet for anything? might be an auto regrade...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      Hi and welcome to the forum. First things first. How are you connected to the phone socket, is it ethernet or wireless? Are you connected to the master socket and are you using extentions? Have you connected microfilters to all used phone sockets? Your noise margin is also high, have you contacted Sky previously concerning poor speeds, in which case you may have been capped?

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to test your Master Socket
      Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      initially looking I'd say there is some kind of cap there...have you called Sky yet for anything? might be an auto regrade...
      Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated

I'm using ethernet, I figured using wireless will just about kill any hope of playing online without lag Would the master socket be the downstairs one in the living room? If so I havent used that, just the one in the bedroom upstairs. Microfilters are all connected down and upstairs. When I connect to the net there is so much noise on the phone that its not even worth trying to use the phone.

I've contacted Sky once as I couldnt get it to work at all when I first got broadband (two weeks ago) and after a three hour phone call with them it eventually worked. The guy on the phone had told me I didnt need a microfilter downstairs, eventually he told me to try putting one in and it worked Since then I havent contacted them though

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Microfilters are all connected down and upstairs. When I connect to the net there is so much noise on the phone that its not even worth trying to use the phone.
      If the noise you are hearing is a screeching whistle, that is the symptoms of a faulty or incorrectly placed filter. Unplug all other phones and devices, including the Sky TV box, in the house and plug a filter directly into the socket you are using. Do you still hear a noise on the phone? If so try the other filter. If you still hear the noise you could be unlucky enough to have received 2 faulty filters.

The Master socket is the first socket on the line into your house. If you are lucky you will have the new type with a joint across the face. If you have one of these, unscrew the 2 screws and remove the front plate. Do this gently so as not to disturb the wires fixed to it's back. Plug a filter into the socket revealed, then plug in your router. Check your stats from there and post back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If the noise you are hearing is a screeching whistle, that is the symptoms of a faulty or incorrectly placed filter. Unplug all other phones and devices, including the Sky TV box, in the house and plug a filter directly into the socket you are using. Do you still hear a noise on the phone? If so try the other filter. If you still hear the noise you could be unlucky enough to have received 2 faulty filters.

The Master socket is the first socket on the line into your house. If you are lucky you will have the new type with a joint across the face. If you have one of these, unscrew the 2 screws and remove the front plate. Do this gently so as not to disturb the wires fixed to it's back. Plug a filter into the socket revealed, then plug in your router. Check your stats from there and post back.
      I'm at work just now so I'll try this when I get home tonight, thanks for the help I take it I'm going to have to take my computer downstairs for this test socket thing?

Thanks

If you don't have wireless or a long ethernet cable, then yes. I am afraid it is the only way to diagnose your problem

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Took a bit of time to get this done but got there in the end lol I dont know if I'm doing something wrong but nothing seems to be changing?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 992 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 20 db 5 db

I've changed filters about etc, I've unplugged Sky and my phone to see if that makes any difference but it stays the same except for the Line and Noise bits that seem to change by a few numbers! Can it simply not go any faster and I'm stuck with this?

Thanks

Low speed + high noise margin = cap.

Phone Sky and ask them to lift the cap on your line.

With a bit of luck you will get 4-5Mbps.
      Last edited by Isitme; 09-08-08 at 01:22 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll give them a call and let you know how I get on Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast