Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mac Codes

This is a discussion on Mac Codes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi to everyone, I have a Mac code from BT and have been trying for 4 days to get in ...

stillringing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mac Codes

Hi to everyone,

I have a Mac code from BT and have been trying for 4 days to get in touch with Sky to join their Connect option & starting to get a bit fed up with the whole experiance. Sky says my sign up code is valid for 21 days, when this expires do I simply need to register again to get a new code sent?. As now thinking of waiting a bit longer till Sky deal with the rush and get their act togeather. What happens to the Mac code does this also expire and things continue as normal with BT or do I need to tell them I will not be changing poroviders just yet.
      Last edited by stillringing; 21-09-06 at 10:53 PM.

2. Advertisement
      tinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax SDHRSHM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I think you need to inform BT that you no longer wish to migrate before the Mac expires. If not they may put a block on your accoutn when it expires

As for sky yes if you don't use it in 21 days you will have to re-register and wait for another code.

stupot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne
      Broadband ISP: Max with a cap on
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

stillringing

I am of the same opinion as you about waiting after getting my mac code...the guy at Zen my present ISP said if I dont switch then the code just expires after 3 weeks and I continue with them...Not sure if anyone knows any different here...

Cool site by the way

I came close to signing up today but after waiting 20 mins plus on the phone decided against after the guy said call back later the dept u want is too busy..if thats how bad it is to sign up now I cant be bothered

Also my father has signed up and should have been online on the 8th Sept..his BT order tracker shows the work completed on the 12th but still has no connection...

After contacting TS he has been told the card relating to his exchange connection is faulty...now he's on dial up until it happens if it happens

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      I was told by my previous ISP that if I did not use my MAC or wanted to stay with them then it would simply expire after 30 days. So I don't think anything will happen if you don't use your MAC.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      ^^^ on F2S if you ask for a MAC then if you dont use it, your account just carries on, i have tested this once.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Kestanan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      My sign up code was out of date by a couple of days when i signed up. I pointed this out, apologised and they signed me up anyway. Of course when i gave them my mac code it was misheard and ive had to wait an extra five days to be connected (that expires tommorow when i will be chatting with TS) But i find being polite but stuborn works wonders in most situations.

K.

rbentley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      ^^^ on F2S if you ask for a MAC then if you dont use it, your account just carries on, i have tested this once.
      This also happens with Plusnet

stillringing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks everyone, for safety sake I will give BT a call today and double check.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site stillringing

This should help clear up any misunderstanding how the MAC Code works

Taken for the ofcom pdf avalible here Broadband migration - Industry code of practice
      Definition of Terms
      GSP Gaining Service Provider*
      LSP Losing Service Provider*
      BTW BT Wholesale
      MAC Migration Authorisation Code
      Customer The user of the broadband connection
      Account holder The person or entity with contractual responsibility for the broadband
      service
      Migration Transfer of a broadband customer between SPs, where both SPs provide
      service over the same BT copper loop
      Working day 0900 - 1700 hours, Monday – Friday (exc local Bank Holidays)

Migration process
      8. A MAC is valid from the date that it is issued (either verbally or in writing, whichever is
      first) for a period of 30 calendar days, including bank holidays. The MAC validity period
      extends up to 17.00 on the 30th calendar day from issue.
      9. When the customer applies to a GSP to migrate their broadband service(s) they must
      supply the GSP with a valid MAC for each broadband service to be migrated. The default
      migration date will be taken to be 5 working days after the submission of the migration
      request by the GSP. The customer may request an alternative migration date that is later
      than the default date.
      10. If a GSP submits a migration request to the BTW system within the validity period, BT
      will process the request without any further authorisation from the LSP. If a GSP submits
      a migration request to the BTW system after the MAC has expired, BTW will reject the
      request.
      11. The customer’s request to the LSP for an authorisation to migrate does not in itself
      represent a request to terminate service with the LSP. The LSP should not, therefore,
      disconnect the broadband service upon request for (or issue of) a MAC.
      12. During the MAC validity period, the LSP may continue to apply its normal processes
      (including suspending availability of the service) to manage bad debt prior to the
      broadband service being migrated.
      13. The customer’s request to the LSP for a MAC is taken to revoke any previous notice to
      terminate service (except where the LSP has already submitted a ‘cease’ order to BTW, in
      which case the MAC request will be refused). On issuing a MAC, the LSP must confirm
      to the customer that any previous termination has been revoked, and shall ensure that any
      current or pending termination actions are cancelled.
      14. At any time prior to the expiry of an existing MAC, the customer may request the LSP to
      remind him of the MAC and its expiry date. The customer cannot ask the LSP to cancel
      an existing MAC or to reissue a new MAC while an existing MAC is still valid.
      15. The customer has the right to cancel or amend a migration request to the GSP at any time
      prior to the customer agreed date. However, only upward revisions of the migration date
      will be permitted.
      16. When the LSP is notified that a migration has taken place, the customer’s notice period
      (ie the date at which notice to discontinue service is taken for the purposes of calculating
      any outstanding subscription charges under the contract) will be taken to have
      commenced on the issue date of the MAC, or on the date of any prior notice to terminate,
      whichever is the earlier.
      17. If the MAC validity period is passed without the LSP receiving notification of a migration
      request, the LSP must not terminate the current subscription, unless specifically requested
      to do so by the customer.
      Marketing and external communications

18. SPs will publicise the provisions of this CoP to their customers, including publishing an
      agreed text on their website.
      19. SPs will ensure that all communications with customers regarding difficulties that may
      arise from time to time in the porting process stress that all parties are working to resolve
      the difficulties. In particular, the LSP shall not state to customers that the delay is a good
      reason for maintaining the existing service and cancelling the migration.
      20. SPs will not in the course of their marketing or sales activity encourage the customers of
      another SP to disregard the terms of their existing contract. For the avoidance of doubt,
      there is no positive obligation to remind customers of their obligations under their
      existing contract (though SPs may choose to do this); the prohibition is against gaining
      SPs explicitly encouraging end users not to respect their existing contract.
      Other
      21. SPs and BTW will establish a recovery process so that in the event of erroneous
      migrations, customers can be restored to their original SP with minimum disruption.
      Hope this helps
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by stillringing View Post
      Hi to everyone,

I have a Mac code from BT and have been trying for 4 days to get in touch with Sky to join their Connect option & starting to get a bit fed up with the whole experiance. Sky says my sign up code is valid for 21 days, when this expires do I simply need to register again to get a new code sent?. As now thinking of waiting a bit longer till Sky deal with the rush and get their act togeather. What happens to the Mac code does this also expire and things continue as normal with BT or do I need to tell them I will not be changing poroviders just yet.
      I am much in the same situation as you, i have also been trying for about four days to get on connect
      I cant spend ages on the phone as i have 4 children and its just impossible to stand in my hall way with the phone ringing.
      What really annoys me is the way its been rolled out how did sky do this ?
      To me it seems they are just sending codes out by registration surely they should have took the preasure of themselfs and done it by what tv package ppl have.
      The other annoying and most stupid thing is, why are sky sending out codes to people like me (who cant get this package) to join connect pay a 40 free ect.
      When max is free and it would take some preasure of them ? anyway rant over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast