Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Solid Orange Light on Router - no connection

This is a discussion on Solid Orange Light on Router - no connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Three things have happened to me so far this week - I got a letter from Sky telling me I ...

Timdimples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01603
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Solid Orange Light on Router - no connection

Three things have happened to me so far this week - I got a letter from Sky telling me I have been changed from Sky connect to Sky Mid package wef 1 Aug 08 and that my network had been upgraded (or words to that effect)

More importantly last night I got a solid orange light on my router and no connection. Power off/on and reset button have both failed to remedy situation - I am now without broadband despite several resets to router and PC.

Prior to this I received yesterday morning repeated messages on Instant messager telling me I had logged on to another computer - I only have one PC.

I am connected via an extension cable and have a wired connection to the router - and have had no problems with connections since joining sky in November 07.

Are any of the above issues related, and can anyone please help me to restore by BB connection?

Thanks!!!!

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Solid Orange Light on Router - no connection

Presumably your phone line is okay, but you might ask Sky to check that they can detect your router.

First do a deep reset on the router -- as I recall, disconnect power supply cube, leave a minute, reconnect power cube to router while holding reset down for 30 secs.

For more details of various reset options see tutorials on skyuser -- or have a look at netgear.com forums and any posting by jmizoguchi (follow his links to reset options)

My guess is that the router is dead, if so Sky will send you a new (reconditioned) one.
      Last edited by fihart; 06-08-08 at 11:00 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The router is not dead if the lights are on so please don't suggest it is. If you have amber light and are the middle of an off to onnet move then that can take your connection down but it should not stay down.
      Get your router onto your main socket via a filter, power it up and see if the light goes green, if it does then the synch is there and the extension may have degraded, if the light stays amber then you need to call sky BB tech for assistance.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is possible the change over is early and the Connect connection has been disconnected and the LLU not up and running yet. Normally this is done fairly quickly, but there may be problems.

Prior to this I received yesterday morning repeated messages on Instant messager telling me I had logged on to another computer - I only have one PC.
      Do you use IM at work? If you do and did not log out, you would be shown as logged into another PC when you open your home one. If this is not the case, someone else may be accessing your account.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Timdimples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01603
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I only use IM at home and leave it permanently signed in. No one else has access to it at home and so can only assume that someone elsewhere is logging in as me.

The only reason I mentioned this in my original thread is that the error message I am getting "you have logged on at another computer" can sometimes indicate general network issues according to some threads on other sites.

Guess I will have to resign myself to a long and expensive telephone call to Sky CS tonight regarding (lack of) connectivity!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It may be advisable to log in to your account and change your password.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timdimples View Post
      I only use IM at home and leave it permanently signed in. No one else has access to it at home and so can only assume that someone elsewhere is logging in as me.

The only reason I mentioned this in my original thread is that the error message I am getting "you have logged on at another computer" can sometimes indicate general network issues according to some threads on other sites.

Guess I will have to resign myself to a long and expensive telephone call to Sky CS tonight regarding (lack of) connectivity!
      Won't take long to be honest, if you are not showing synch the call takes about 10 mins max to go through, especially if you are on your main socket (test socket if avail) and have changed filter before calling. Connect with ethernet and thats 3/4 of the TS done. Mention that you were being moved from Offnet to Onnet at the start of the call so the agent can check your notes for signs of a new service ID and so they can see what is going on.
      If you are on sky talk the calls are free to support, if not its about 5p per min I think.