Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Here's a tip perhaps!

This is a discussion on Here's a tip perhaps! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys I have had a great deal help in here, so am trying put something back. I hope it ...

stevej58 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01282
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Here's a tip perhaps!

Hi Guys

I have had a great deal help in here, so am trying put something back. I hope it is of interest to some.

I was chatting to my uncle recently who is a senior engineer for BT and he couldnt stress enough the importance of having the router on the main bt linebox, use ethernet if possible and to use the ADSL adapter faceplate, which includes a filter as the line comes in to the house, meaning that you can remove the individual filters form each extension. He went on to explain that, although your speed might be ok, the quality of your connection should improve, which will reduce line-dropping.

In some cases, (and this was the case for me), your main line box might be in a kitchen, or other downstairs room and your pc upstairs or too far away to connect directly. However, without upsetting the mess police (wife) it's possible to move your line box to somewhere else in the house. Here goes....

This assumes that your extension from your main box is connected directly in to the box, if not there's a just little more work to do.

In your internal phone cable you will probably find that there is a spare pair of green wires, it's possible to use these to in effect transport your signal to another connected box elsewhere. All you need to do is take the blues off the current mainbox before the terminals and connect them to the greens. At the new recipient line box connect the greens to the blues on the terminals and it's done. The box that was the mainbox is now bypassed and is now an extension as the original blues on the original extension cable now take the signal back from your shiny new main box to the orginal main line box which is an extension.

You will need the special tool to push wire on to the terminals and some small wire connecting thingies. I would suggest connecting blue with white to green with white and white with blue to green with blue.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Here's a tip perhaps!

It's called "back feeding" and is/was oftern used in the days of eng fit DSL to get the filter faceplate close to the router. It is not as good a method of wiring as moving the router to the master, but better than a poor extension lead.

I should add that this was never well liked, not for any technical reason (all you are doing is swaping over two sockets and using the spairs to carry the line to the new master position) but it causes a lot of confusion if a fault in the cable develops and there is a dispute over who is going to pay!! as the cable carries both network and customer wiring.
      Last edited by Brian69; 05-08-08 at 11:10 AM.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box

Re: Here's a tip perhaps!

Your incoming line up to and incuding the master socket is BT's property.
      It is illegal to tamper with the incoming line, as you have described, you are bypassing the protection components within the master socket.
      As long as you only connect to pins 2 and 5 your extension should not degrade your performance too much.