Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Strength

This is a discussion on Wireless Strength within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening everyone. Wondered if you'd be able to solve my problem. Had Sky BB Max for about a year now, ...

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wireless Strength

Evening everyone.

Wondered if you'd be able to solve my problem.

Had Sky BB Max for about a year now, without any problems whatsoever. However, recently, just bought myself a laptop as I do alot of work at home, and don't particularly want to be on my own working; which means I now need to use wireless.

I've successfully been running wireless between my laptop (which is Vista), and the standalone PC (XP) for at least 3 months now without problems; though having one niggling issue.

The wireless strength!! It's ridiculous.

I can't use the laptop online in practically 75% of the house, as it will tell me that the signal is too weak. Now I think homeplugs are a little too expensive, but is there any way I can possibly boost the wireless signal around my house; with hardware compatible with the Netgear V1 router? (The white one)

Much appreciated thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Strength

You can use a wireless booster, something like THIS or there are DIY methods which sometimes work. If you are using a USB adapter then you will find a wealth of information HERE There is a method of fixing a reflector to the router arial which also works, you will find details HERE

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.