Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

VOIP provider suggestions

This is a discussion on VOIP provider suggestions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening All, I have the new Sagem router, and a Linksys PAP2T ATA adapter (so I can use my original ...

lily1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

VOIP provider suggestions

Evening All,

I have the new Sagem router, and a Linksys PAP2T ATA adapter (so I can use my original old phones).

I am looking for a VOIP provider. Ideally one that will give me a local phone number. I have been looking at Sipgate but have read of the problems people on this forum have had with setting it up with the Sagem router.

I have had some issues with my landline (many a post on here!) and while trying to resolve this I thought I would give VOIP a go as an alternative to the landline. Anyone any experience in this area? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: VOIP provider suggestions

I have been using Sipgate for 4 years and never had an issue with them. I don't have the sagem router though.

Personally I would be wary of using Voip as a landline replacement though. You will get a local number from Sipgate but VOIP is still not yet as reliable as you need a landline to be.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: VOIP provider suggestions

VoIP providers always make a point of saying 'this isn't a replacement service for a landline' as it will fail in a power cut.

I use Tesco Internet Phone. They will provide you with all the details you need to set up a third party adaptor. They have local numbers for many UK exchanges. I use mine as a second line. As I have Sky Talk I use the Tesco VoIP for 0845 type numbers where they are much cheaper.

Tesco Internet Phone are also extremely good on technical help Tesco Internet Phone - Tesco Telecoms