Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

slow down when using p2p or BT -cant surf

This is a discussion on slow down when using p2p or BT -cant surf within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First off the line stats Connection Speed 3328 kbps 768 kbps Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db Noise Margin 6.9 ...

kosh2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

slow down when using p2p or BT -cant surf

First off the line stats

Connection Speed 3328 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 7.0 db

About a week or two ago I noticed my line was slow. An inspection of th router revealed a drop in connection speed to about 1200. I assume DLM. Any I rebooted and returned to normal speed.

Th eodd thing which has been happening for some time, perhaps even before I rebooted router is that as soon as I start BT or p2p software I cannot surf. The web pages are not found. Also oddly Vuze is saying I am downloading at about 29k when my torrents are not downloading.

As soon as I stop p2p or BT then I can surf again. Usenet is not affected.

Is this some sinister Sky plan to stop me?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: slow down when using p2p or BT -cant surf

Bittorrent and P2P can gobble up your bandwidth. If these are downloading and uploading at a rate close to your connection speed, you will not be able to do anything else. You will have to limit the bandwidth you make available to them.

Sky do not throttle, it looks like you are throttling yourself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks but it must be something else. Prior to this recent period I was happily getting BT downloads of 100-200k on a popular seed and still surfing at same time. But now not. Plus the strange indication that I am downloading in the Vuez summary window and yet and not downloading the files is odd. The download speed I am getting from BT is only 20-30K and upload is restricted anyway.

Plus, when using Usenet client I can get 300k and can surf. It is as if a switch is being thrown somewhere.

Thanks

Are you still using wireless? If so, how is it when you connect by ethernet?

Many have found that wireless is not at all dependable, giving fair results one day then rubbish the next. A lot of the problem is its popularity, more and more ISPs are pushing 'wireless broadband' as a selling point, meaning that areas are becoming polluted with wireless waves, making a clean connection very difficult. If this is your problem, changing the router channel may help. Start at channel 13 and work down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Gave up on wireless a long time ago. I use ethanet over powerlines.

Surfing and Usenet are normal speed, only when engaging BT does everything shut down and yet BT speeds are low too.

stevvie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey (SMBA)
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I use CfosSpeed from here cFosSpeed, faster Internet access with Traffic Shaping after a few hours/days of training you can download and upload P2P stuff at almost full speed and the web is as snappy and fast as without it.

Thanks

only when engaging BT does everything shut down and yet BT speeds are low too.
      That seems to suggest the problem is with Bit torrent, do you have the latest version -
      Get BitTorrent - BitTorrent

You might want to consider uninstalling and reinstalling, you may have a corruption.

TomD

Useful Utilites

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Also, you must remember that when downloading from a server (website); such as Microsoft at 100/2000 kbps, you were able to browse fine because you are not uploading at the same time.

Torrents and P2P gobble bandwidth by taking majority of download and upload capability. You could try and select preferences to ensure that dl/ul are controlled to your needs.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You need to reduce your maximum upload speed in Vuze. Right click on the upload speed value at the bottom right-hand corner of the Vuze window and select something smaller than it is now.

Here's an explanation of what's happening. Every packet of data sent across the Internet has to be acknowledged. (Actually it's only TCP/IP packets, but let's not make this more complicated than it already is). So when your web browser fetches a web page, for every 180kbytes (or so) of data it receives, it sends a packet back to the web server, saying that it received that data OK. In other words, even when all you think you're doing is receiving data, there is still a constant trickle of data (the acknowledgement packets) going in the opposite direction, from your PC to the web server.

Now you might ask, if that's the case (that for every packet received by my PC, it has to send out an acknowledgement), why isn't it the upload speed on my Sky Broadband connection that's the limiting factor on how fast my internet connection is? After all, the upload speed is a lot less than my download speed. The answer to that question is simply that the acknowledgement packets are a lot smaller than the data packets. So ADSL broadband works just brilliantly for downloading stuff, with big packets of data using the speedy downstream, and little acknowledgements packets using the slower upstream. The flipside of that is that ADSL broadband is pretty lousy when it comes to uploading data, and uploading is exactly what Vuze will start doing once you've completed downloading a file.

Other people wanting to download that file from you will be using up the whole of your 90kbyte (or so) upstream capacity. And you will also see a small trickle of downstream data - those are the acknowledgement packets that your PC is sending to other people's PCs. And if you try to do web browsing while this is happening, you'll find it very slow indeed. This is not because your downstream capacity is being used up, it's because your upstream capacity is crammed full of packets of data that other torrent users want. The acknowledgement packets that your PC would normally send to a web server, get delayed and the web server starts thinking that you're not receiving the data properly, and so it starts repeating packets of data. Eventually, it may give up trying to the stream the data to you quickly, and will instead wait for an acknowledgement immediately after every packet of data it sends to you. And it's that that causes the apparent slow down in browser.

I hope that's a clear enough explanation.

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Thanks

Very good explanation James, so would setting maximum upload to say 80kbps (for Max package) be about right then?