Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disconnection Mystery!

This is a discussion on Disconnection Mystery! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First of thanks to you guys on this site - I've historically been a Be broadband customer, and always heard ...

atilaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Disconnection Mystery!

First of thanks to you guys on this site - I've historically been a Be broadband customer, and always heard bad things about Sky - but when I found this site and the balanced opinions you guys have I took a risk and moved to Sky.

So far so good - except I am having one major headache. My line is apparently near-perfect (its new) and I'm close to the exchange so I get a 15mb connection, good times! The problem is, whenever I use this connection fully I get disconnected.

At first, to me anyway it looked like the router was crashing randomly - and I would need a reboot it physically to get connected again.

Eventually, I figured out it was whenever I connected to GigaNews using more than 3 or 4 connections encrypted connections. If I put my number of connections to say 10, the router instantly stops working. Now here's the weird bit that is confusing me - according to their support team (I rang a week ago) the router hadn't crashed, the line was perfect, and it was possibly the servers revoking or blocking my IP address. Fine by me as long as they can fix the problem, so I have spent 7 days waiting for the server guys to give me a ring, then yesterday I get a text message to my landline saying fault fixed. So I had a go at downloading again, and it wasn't, did the same thing as before.

So, I spent another hour on the phone, and this time the support guy in customer solutions seemed to think it was a problem with the router, so he's ordered a new router for me and it's on its way. He said he hoped it would be a netgear one as they have less issues.

So - my question - does anybody else have this problem? I've never had this issue before, but I've never used a Sky or Sagam router before either.

Personally I wish they'd have sent me a new one out when I suggested a dodgy router last week - I suspected it because the router becomes unresponsive, i.e. I can't connect to the web setup pages, even though the wifi and ethernet connections don't get dropped.

Oh - almost forgot to mention that when all internet traffic stops, the @ light is green for a minute, then goes amber. At which point, it will never reconnect, until I reboot the router that is.

So if anybody else has any hints or tips I'd be more than happy to try them out, I'm getting more and more frustrated as it normally takes a 1-2 hour conversation before they decide I'm not imagining it and I'm not trying to connect with my washing machine or iron.

Oh, my setup is a Sagam router with firmware version SKY1.5, devices are xbox360 and a Vista PC plugged in via ethernet, and my macbook pro (using OS X) which sort of floats between ethernet and wifi.

fyi - I've tried downloading from other http sources to see if it's just when the line is maxed out, but I can never find anything that connects faster than about 300kbps - and I hate bittorrent with a vengence so don't want to even install that to test download.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Disconnection Mystery!

what do you get HERE?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK - just to add, I just tried downloading a openSuse via bittorrent, and I got to about 700kbps before my router crashed - it was stable until then. At the point of crashing, I was downloading from 6 peers, uploading to one, and the second it died I had just begun a second download via http. So it's seems to be if I try to download anything the thing from anywhere, and it downloads fast enough, it dies.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      what do you get HERE?
      You sir - are a genius!

Instant dead connection on all 3 download sizes. Bizarre!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The odd thing is, I was able to run the speed test I just stuck in my sig. Very strange.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well incase anybody else has the same problem - a router switch has solved the problem. Received a black netgear router this morning, switched it, able to download the bt test files, usenet binaries, basically everything.

I did do more testing last night, and noticed if I had more than one device connected via ethernet then the router would crash when downloading on one computer, if I unplugged all the other devices and just had one connected it would cope downloading, although it would occasionally freeze up for a second, then resume.

Anyway - problem solved for me at least. Even got a connection speed boost with the netgear which is cool.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atilaw View Post
      Well incase anybody else has the same problem - a router switch has solved the problem. Received a black netgear router this morning, switched it, able to download the bt test files, usenet binaries, basically everything.

I did do more testing last night, and noticed if I had more than one device connected via ethernet then the router would crash when downloading on one computer, if I unplugged all the other devices and just had one connected it would cope downloading, although it would occasionally freeze up for a second, then resume.

Anyway - problem solved for me at least. Even got a connection speed boost with the netgear which is cool.
      Are you connecting via wireless, I had issues when flooding my connection when I was connected via wireless but via erthernet all was ok. I now use homeplugs and get full 16Mb downloads frm Giganews

Maybe the new router has a better wireless range or handles it better.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was hoping it was a problem like that, but unfortunately it would crash with both - I normally switch between wireless, direct ethernet or a homeplug depending what room I'm working in when on my laptop - all caused the same router crashing problem!

The new router is awesome when compared to the sagem I was using before, wireless range seems to reach rooms I couldn't before, and even the setup pages load quicker!

Giganews @ 16Mb is very cool, well worth the money for the diamond pack. I was really surprised to find out Sky were doing 16mb connections for 10 a month too!!