Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should i be getting better speeds ?

This is a discussion on Should i be getting better speeds ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had an idea last night to go and leand my mate netgear v2 (fireware version V2.02.34 "i have the ...

glennlavender is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (UK)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Should i be getting better speeds ?

I had an idea last night to go and leand my mate netgear v2 (fireware version V2.02.34 "i have the v1.5 sagem") to see if it made any difference in my line attenuation, speed and noise margin which indead it did well to the line attenuation anyways lol but my speed still remains the same where i use to get 15 mb should i phone up and say i belive theres a problem with my router as my line attenuation droped by 3db and my noise margin seems to be staying at 7db and no increase or lose. any help and advise will be great thanks.

Netgear V2.02.34

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8212 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31 db 7 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 19 db

Sagem V1.5

Connection Speed 7086 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.2 db 15 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Should i be getting better speeds ?

I am getting a bit confused, in your previous post you posted this as you stats from your new PC-
      Connection Speed 11499 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.5 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 16.0 db

When the post was resolved you said your old PC was reading the same. Are you saying that your stats have suddenly changed again and your speed has reduced? Are you using a different phone socket or extension?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

them result were the result at the time yes but i change the router to the netgear one i just got from my mate house but yes my speed seems to keep dropping and once in a while it will be like 11 mb but average is 8mb i just wondering if as i have changed my router and i have a lower line attenuation with it could my sagem one have a problem ? as the results in my other post the speed only lasted a couple of hours and no im not my speed seem to change quite often latly and my line attenuation remains the same the result that were posted in my other post that was resolved were results from the sagem router which i have resently chnaged to my friend netgear and my linee atteunation has droped by 2 -3 db like i said as of changing the router
      Last edited by glennlavender; 29-07-08 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks

There does seem to be something wrong with your connection. I would not worry too much about the change in your attenuation, different routers have different ways of measuring this and a few dbs difference between different makes is not uncommon. What is more worrying is that your routers, no matter what one you use, are connecting at he best speed they can at that time. This suggests that something is wrong with your line, either internally or externally and the router is doing it's job by increasing and decreasing your speed accordingly.

I cannot remember if you are connected to the Master socket or extension, so if you have one connect the router to the Test socket, which is behind the Master faceplate. Check when you have the plate off that all your other sockets are dead. Give it a few minutes to settle then take your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

them results are taken from the test socket thank again for you help i realy want to get this 16 mb lol and i trying to find out the best to get there ive had it hooked up to the test socket since last night now ive had to change the router back to the sagem now as my mate needed his back would you like the result from the sagem ? and there been a speed drop once again with the sagem but that could be due to just resyncing. there no extentions either i got the phone disconnected as well just to get the best possible out of it and the only thing that in the test socket is the filter with the modem connect to it.
      efore
      Connection Speed 7833 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.0 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 16.5 db

I also belive it could be an external problem as after dlm this is all i have had is trouble and more trouble and like i said in my first ever post here a serious decrease in speed and stability my line was alot better before dlm and sky wont do out about it.
      Last edited by glennlavender; 29-07-08 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks

I'm sorry but it looks like you are at the mercy of BT. Not much you can do if your line is clear for voice use. Try a quiet test by dialling one digit and see if there is any noise on the line. If there is noise you could try phoning BT and tell them you are hearing noises on your voice line. Not much more I can suggest sorry.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

it orite isitme you been a great help i think im going to try the one digit thing as im sure i heard a bit of noise on my line today and i thought nothing of it. I belive this will cost me right if there is a problem ?

Thanks

If there is a problem on the voice side of the line it is up to BT to fix it, but be careful as they will probably want to charge you anyway. If the fault were on your side of the master socket, it would be a different story, but as you are using the test socket this cannot be the case.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

ok thanks im just finishing off some paper work for work ill try the phone thing in a second ill post if i hear anything.

Thanks

just did the phone thing i dont know if this is normal but i can hear a very quiet static coming from the phone should it be completely silent ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast