Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Phone Call disconnecting router

This is a discussion on Phone Call disconnecting router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This sounds like a line fault. (1) At the test socket, use a normal wired phone and dial a single ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Phone Call disconnecting router

This sounds like a line fault.

(1) At the test socket, use a normal wired phone and dial a single digit to kill the dial tone. You should now hear only a low hiss, no pops or crackels.

(2) while the test socket is exposed, check that any other extension sockets you may have are dead (no dial tone)

If no problems show up, you will need to go through Sky to get BT/Openreach to sort this.

If there is noise on the line, then as long as you pay your line rental to BT, you can report this to them.

If any of your extension sockets have a dial tone, with the test socket exposed, then you have a wiring problem.
      Get back to us.

2. Advertisement
      lily1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have this ongoing fault. Having troubleshooted every bit of kit here, sky have sent a total of 5 BT engineers. 2 of them had said it was the underground cable out the front of the house (an 'HR' fault) but were dubious it would ever get fixed due to expense. A couple of the guys in BT Escalations said they felt it would be fixed, they just needed to know which bit of the cable was faulty (hawk test etc).

BT Engineer 5 disagreed, but said another engineer would need to come out - on a longer appointment. Sadly I got a call back from sky, a rather unpleaseant chap who says no more troubleshooting - and that I could leave sky if I wished!

On a positive note, a number of smaller faults have been fixed and my speed is great! I found sky very helpful until last night, the techie that called me did not seem to have read the extensive notes nor did he seem interested, very unlike my previous experience.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sounds like someone at BT has closed the ticket down and left it to CST to call back and say that there was nothing that can be done. Unfortunately it can be luck of the draw on who you speak to some nights, get an agent having a bad night and it's not a good experience. If you are unhappy in how the agent dealt with the call you can complain to Sky as all agents leave "markers" on your account when they access them so the agent in question can be identified.

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try to get them to send you a sagem router..... after 5 engineers also and everything else, this seemed to fix the exact same problem, although theres no gaurentee it will.

deff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There has been some very good advice on this thread. Strangely there were lots of crackles and static in the background when talking on the phone. This happened whilst the filter was in the Master socket.

When I phoned bt, the said there was no problem and that I will end up paying a lot of money if they came around.

I bought a face plate and put this in to replace the filter. I am no longer hearing the crackles and static in the background.

I am now wondering why I had this issue with the master socket but not now using the face plate. I had the filters changed previously. I am think that my line is capable os more speed so I am trying to get to the bottom of this.

Deff

deff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: London
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quick update on this- I am at home for kids and have seen a couple of things.

Last night the phone line was clear and the internat did not drop when making calls.

This morning a call came in around 10 a.m. the internet went down all the lights on the router were on.

It came back on without a router re-boot.

After 2 PM, I made a call- again the internet went down. again it came back on after a while.

This time I took a look at the router stats and can see a drop in a few things. I also noticed that there is lots of noise on the line when you get a dial tone.

Here is the router stats. Maybe this normal due the course of the day!! I have been with sky for some years since I left Bulldog. I am trying to see what has changed

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 281:27:39

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 33 26 0 0 0 0:01:56
      LAN 961040 838894 0 0 0 281:27:39
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 281:27:17
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6211 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.0 db 21.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 11.5 db

Hmmm- test making a call again before hitting post reply and lost the internet connection. Call to sky again

lily1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Deff, I find that when my router disconnects on making/receiving calls it will then reboot (within seconds) at a lower noise margin which slowly increases, and the speed drops by about a meg. When the call ends the router disconnects again, then reconnects at the original speed. This happens regardless of the time of day.

I am using the Sagem, but have also found this with an old Netgear & Buffalo router.

It has helped that the BT Escalations team have called me on a number of occasions and so have been able to monitor the line and disconnects. Having been through 5 BT Engineers I am now investigating VOIP, and have emailed sky for advice...although CST have promised to call back again....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12