Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

internet going bad

This is a discussion on internet going bad within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, Over the last 2 months the I light on my router (DG834GT) has been flashing orange and my internet ...

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

internet going bad

Hey,

Over the last 2 months the I light on my router (DG834GT) has been flashing orange and my internet goes out. This is normally fixed when I reset the router and wait for a minute or log into the router through my computer, but today its been orange for hours, I have reset the router but had no luck and have just got it back on (after 1-2 hours of having no internet). Does anyone know what the orange light means? I will probably give sky a call tomorrow but i'm just hoping theres a quick fix or somthing to it :P

Thanks in Advance

Kurby

ps: i didn't post this in sky router section because i thought it may be somthing to do with my connection.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: internet going bad

How are you connected to the telephone line, any extensions in use, have you got filters on your socket(s) and can you post your attenuation, SNR and synch speed stats from the router?

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Yes I use a extension to connect the router to the master socket, but I have tried it with my router plugged directly into the master socket and the speed is no different which is why I use a extension.

Sorry whats the site for the router stats? :P i used to have it bookmarked but i have recently lost all my bookmarks :P

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just get basic stats for now from 192.168.0.1 (SNR, Attenuation and synch) for your main socket and again from the extension as a comparrison.
      Also what else is on your line?? Do you have sky tv and if so is it filtered as all the permanent sockets in use on the line must have a filter on them before anything attaches to the socket itself.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try posting your detailed stats using the utility in MelsNotes it is possible you are generating a large amount of errors. As Paul says, take a comparison between the Test socket and your extension. Just because the speed is the same, does not mean that it is as stable. Try taking your basic stats from both positions and post them. Then allow your connection to run for a few hours in the extension, then take your detailed stats. It is no use taking them right away as you must give it time for the error rate to show.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SilverJDM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
      Hey,

Over the last 2 months the I light on my router (DG834GT) has been flashing orange and my internet goes out. This is normally fixed when I reset the router and wait for a minute or log into the router through my computer, but today its been orange for hours, I have reset the router but had no luck and have just got it back on (after 1-2 hours of having no internet). Does anyone know what the orange light means? I will probably give sky a call tomorrow but i'm just hoping theres a quick fix or somthing to it :P

Thanks in Advance

Kurby

ps: i didn't post this in sky router section because i thought it may be somthing to do with my connection.
      I've been having the same problem for the last few days & just couldn't get reconnected this morning before I came to work... As far as I know nothing has changed at home so could it be the local exchange? Also how do I post my stats if I can't connect at home? (I'm sending this from work)

Exchange:
      Thanks

You don't need an internet connection to get to basic stats, just browse to 192.168.0.1, login as admin, password sky. On the router status page you should have downstream and upstream speeds, attenuation and snr levels. Post those and we will have a look.