Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Talktalk to Sky

This is a discussion on Talktalk to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, Recently my contract with talktalk finished, they tried to offer me a new one at a discounted price. ...

Spectre23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMBA
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talktalk to Sky

Hi there,

Recently my contract with talktalk finished, they tried to offer me a new one at a discounted price. I said no "naturally" . I assume eventually my connection will be stopped, as im no longer taking up another contract?

I already have Sky TV and figured why not swap over to their internet and phone service.

At the moment i know i would need my phone line swapped back to BT. My question is do i need to have a new router as im not sure if mine supports Sky's. I have a Belkin 7633. I'm hoping to go onto their max product when i do order it. I know my exchange is Sky enabled (SMBA). Just curious on what speed i should expect. Im guessing 12Mb - 13 maybe?

Data rate (Kbps) 8076 443
      Noise margin (dB) 7.3 27.0
      Output power (dBm) 0.0 12.6
      Attenuation (dB) 38.0 19.0

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Talktalk to Sky

Sky's T&Cs state you must use the router supplied by Sky - although some chose to break this and use their own by extracting the username/password from the Sky-supplied one...

they're fine though, so you shouldn't need to do it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I dont mind swapping, just wondered if sky's is better than what i got? Stability etc

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think TT will be like other ISPs and put you on a 30 day contract until you leave or sign up for a further year.

If your attenuation remained the same with the Sky router, you will not get the speed you suggest, more like 9-10, if ADSL2+ will work on your line. There is a good chance that it will not work and you will be put on G.DMT which will give you much the same as you have at present. Others may disagree, but if your only reason for leaving TT is expectation of a much higher speed then you should reconsider. There are other advantages such as no throttling and unlimited(subject toFUP) downloads on Max.

Something you might want to try is plugging into your Test socket and comparing the stats from there. There is a chance that your internal wiring is slowing your connection. You really need to see a much higher noise margin to expect any more speed.

Sorry if I seem to be raining on your parade, but there is no point in glossing over the bad points.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I dont mind what boost i get, even if its 8MB i would still swap. I'd rather pay for all 3 services from Sky, rather than 2 seperate companies providing the services i require. TT said i could only get 3.5MB. I get over 6700, which im guessing 6.5MB? Even if i get 9 - 10 on an ADSL2+ line, that is acceptable to me, as long as the service is top notch from sky, which im guessing it is, thats fine with me. Also the internal wiring could be improved slightly so im willing to test it out, if i get 8MB, then 8mb it is, any more, excellent , i cant complain. Its better to try than not try at all
      Last edited by Spectre23; 28-07-08 at 09:28 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately experiences with Sky are very varied, it is just your luck if you get good service or not. A look through these sections might give you an idea what I mean,-
      Sky unhappiness
      or
      Sky happiness

You can have a really good experience, as I have done for 2 years, or it can be the pits. Sky should thank their lucky stars that this forum exists or it would be a whole lot worse for a lot of users.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.