Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Losing internet and network connectivity

This is a discussion on Losing internet and network connectivity within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi my first post. Just sorry it's not the most positive start! I have had sky broadband for about 4 ...

jamesg1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Losing internet and network connectivity

Hi my first post. Just sorry it's not the most positive start!

I have had sky broadband for about 4 months with the black netgear router. I have an XP PC connected via Homeplugs to the router and also my Xbox 360 is connected directly to the router.
      I recently had to disconnect everything due to a room move, but both Ethernets are connected to the yellow ports (which is correct isnít it??)

I seem to be losing connection (internet and network) on a regular basis on my PC. This is both wired and wireless (I have wireless capability, but rarely use it).
      This has happened about 10 times since Thursday just gone, nothing will get it back, it just seems to come back on sporadically. I can take the homeplugs out of the equation as I have tried direct and still no results and the wireless wonít work either. I also have a squeezebox which connects to the PC via the router wirelessly and that drops at the same time. The Xbox 360 continues to be connected to Xbox Live Ė although itís noticeably slower to connect.
      Whilst itís down I canít get into the 192.168.0.01 admin site either and the network connection has a yellow warning ! on it.

Tried Disabling firewall - I have Zonealarm as a firewall, and I know a few weeks ago a Windows Update caused anyone with ZA to lose all network and internet connections, and this did affect me at the time, but nothing since the fix was released.

Any idea? This is really bugging me.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Losing internet and network connectivity

I think the first thing to realize is that if the Xbox remains connected, it is not the Internet connection that is dropping, but the connection between your PC and the router. The fact that you are unable to go to the router settings confirms this.

The first thing to check is that your adapter has the latest drivers installed. Use the manufacturers drivers, not the generic ones installed by MS. If both your adapters are dropping it is not likely to be drivers, but worth checking anyway.

The most likely reason is the firewall. Try uninstalling it completely, very often simply disabling does not work. Enable the Windows one and this together with the router one will give you reasonable protection. If the problem goes, you can then look further into what is causing it.

Remember you should only have one software firewall active.

With regards the Ports on the router, you can use any or all of the 4 ports, the info given in the manual is incorrect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for this, I've uninstalled ZA, rebooted router and PC, now all is connected. Am keeping a close eye on it, but (as you can tell) I'm back on line again...

Thanks

Thanks

You can try reinstalling ZA again if you want. Just make sure that you allow the various connections during it's training period. If you loose your connection again you will know what to do.
      You may want to try the Comodo Firewall instead, once trained it does an excellent job. I have had no problems with it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, I'm afraid this is still happening sporadiclly
      I have uninstalled Zone Alarm and am only using Windows firewall.

There seems to be no particular thing that brings it on, but it normally stays off for about 20-30 minutes at a time.

really irritating me, anyone got any ideas???

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Could be the router dropping the LAN side which would be strange. How have you got the ports set up in the router software?

Thanks

If your Xbox is remaining connected, then it may be the Homeplugs that are failing. The only way to check this would be to connect the PC direct to the router. If it stops dropping, you know the problem.

You might also want to try swapping the Xbox and Homeplug router ports, just in case it is a LAN port problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for £26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had similar problems, although it was the wireless that was the problem for me (and as you can see in my signature, Sky still haven't come close to resolving it).

For me the wireless on the Sky supplied router was failing. I got a second router from Sky, still did it. All the time the only hardware that could still get on the internet was the hardware connected directly to the router's own network ports, anything other than that dropped out for random periods of time at different times of the day or night.

The solution for me was to connect a wireless access point to the router and that seemed to work fine. This showed me it was the Sky supplied hardware that was at fault, in both pieces of kit supplied to me by Sky.

Your problem sounds slightly different. Although you have a wireless issue there that may be the same, the plugs suggest they may also be faulty. I know that Sky play about with the firmware of the Netgear routers before sending them out to the customers and that if you use a normal Netgear router you don't actually get the same problems, even if connected to Sky (but of course that breaks the T&Cs), so it may be that you've found another problem with Sky modified hardware.

If you're willing to break the T&Cs you could consider trying a self provided router instead of the crap that Sky send out and see if that solves your problem. I'd be pretty suprised if the wireless issue at the very least wasn't resolved for you.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

UPDATE

Well I think my internet is now sorted via LAN. It appeared that I had AVG firewall on (despite turning it off), it keeps turning itself back on after a reboot, so I've disabled the windows one until AVG get back to me explaining how to keep it off.

Wireless though is completely screwed I don't need it for my PC because of the homeplugs, but my Squeezebox now no longer finds a connection.

It appears my problem could have been a couple of separate issues

Thanks

I've disabled the windows one until AVG get back to me explaining how to keep it off.
      You can stop it running by disabling it's entry in the Startup list. Do this by clicking Start>Run and type msconfig in the box, then select the Startup tab. Find the entry for the Firewall and untick it. In Vista you will have to accept the UAC. You may have several entries under AVG, make sure you turn off the correct one, or you may disable your AV or Spy programs. If you don't want to use it, why not just uninstall it, some firewalls have the habit of working even when they are apparently turned off. I have not used the AVG one so I don't know if it is guilty of this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast