Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused need help plz

This is a discussion on Confused need help plz within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I bough a new pc yesterday hooked it all up and i thought id see what the sync speed to ...

glennlavender is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Norton (UK)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Confused need help plz

I bough a new pc yesterday hooked it all up and i thought id see what the sync speed to my router is and for some reason on this pc it sync at 11.5mb were i just checked them on the other pc and thats only sync at 7 mb, so im a bit confused lol could any one shead some light on this please with be very well apresated.

Ive also turn all firewalls off and still no chance in the other pc sync speed plus i connected my new pc up right next to the other pc so it use the exact same ethernet cable but still the other pc sync at 7mb and the new at 11.5mb

here are my stats for each im very confused lol

New Pc

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11499 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.5 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 16.0 db

Old which is better than the new one as well :S

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7086 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.5 db 13.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.1 db 16.0 db

I realsed that the older pc seems to have a smaller noise margin to. and every thing but the downsteam speed and that margin is the same.

regards glenn

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Confused need help plz

This is one of the strangest ones I have seen. The thing is, it is not your PC that is syncing with the exchange but your router, it should not matter what PC you use or indeed whether you are connecting by ethernet or wireless. The only way this would normally happen is if you plug the router into different phone sockets, this will effect the sync speed.

I meant to ask, what is the result when you plug both PCs in at the same time? What are the stats on each then?
      Last edited by Isitme; 27-07-08 at 01:27 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

there exactly the same again im still very confused lol and thats what i thought the router the thing that syncing with the exchange so whats going on i think im just going to give sky a ring and say that i think the router may be faulty thanks for the help anyways isitme. this is a bit strange lol. i had both pc on side by side look at the stat and they both were different so there some thing wrong some where.
      Could be dodgy wiring some where but i dont know where lol.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

have you cleared out the temp internet files on the old PC to make sure its not pulling an old file out of the cache? There is no reason why 2 computers should show different information from the router page if they are both pulling the same page. I doubt this will be a router issue though so save you time calling.

Thanks

I think Paul may be on to something, clear out the cache on your old machine, make sure all the Temp files are deleted and reboot the router. See what happens. As far as I know it is really impossible for two PCs connected to the same router to report different sync speeds. Download yes, sync no.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable among us will comment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

One of the most simple thing in the world well not realy but it kinda simple and it never spung to my mind just deleted them there and yes it show same results as new pc wonder why it was pulling them old files up thought thanks guy i probely would of thought of that if i did'nt just come off a 13 hour shift lol

Thanks
      Glenn

Thanks

Check in Tools, Internet options, browsing history, settings button for what refresh setting you have.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

If by refresh setting your refering to day to keep history well in that box it seems to have 200 days so i belive some one may have been in there and changed some thing i think 200 days is a bit much so i droped it down to every 10 day if that about right thanks again for all your help

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

And some of you guys think we are useless I set a very small cache size (10Mb), tell IE to pull a new page every page visit, keep 3 days of history and clear the cache on exit
      Clear the Temporary Internet Files Folder on Browser Close - Microsoft Internet Explorer 7

Thanks

No offence Paul but how you run your PC has little to do with Sky support

Keeping pages in 'cache' helps speed up browsing, but as you say, they should be refreshed each time you visit. I use the Automatic setting. Likewise having a very small cache may be ok if you are short of resources, but to be honest, with the amount of graphics used on web pages, 10 mb is next to useless. You will have a better browsing experience with it set to 200-250Mb.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast