Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

CST...Can you please help me?

This is a discussion on CST...Can you please help me? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, If you could please spare a few moments, I would be extremely grateful. I've tried on several occasions to ...

diverse180 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

CST...Can you please help me?

If you could please spare a few moments, I would be extremely grateful.

I've tried on several occasions to get through to CST for help in resolving my connection speed and to ask if it can be increased (uncapped/switched to ADSL2+) but I have yet to speak to someone who is actually willing to listen or help in any way.

I have been nothing but polite when talking to Sky customer services, and in return I have had nothing but argumentative and rude responses to my questions.

Eventually I was given a ticket number and was put on hold whilst I was transferred to CST, but after 56 minutes of being on hold I was cut off. When I called back early the next day I was told that the ticket had been closed.

I have tried to explain my situation to several Sky agents and have given them my router statistics, confirmed that I am directly connected to the master socket and that I have followed every other protocol for obtaining the best possible speeds. I have also tried to convince Sky that I am within 2km of my exchange (LNMUS), however they seem to believe that it is over 3km away (which is totally untrue as I have confirmed that I am within 2km).

I have been told, rather bluntly, that my BT line can only handle 4meg and that a connection speed of 8096kbps is the best I can hope for, and that I should be happy with that speed. My router statistics however clearly show that I should be able to achieve a much higher connection speed if I could be uncapped.

After posting my router statistics/speedtest results on the SkyUser site I have been told by several members that I should indeed be getting a much greater connection speed, especially as I am on the MAX package.

If there are any CST agents who would care to look at my stats and possibly provide me with some help or advice I would be extremely grateful.

My stats are as follows (SKY MAX)

Speedtest results:

Download: 6957
      Upload: 436
      Ping: 85
      Distance: <50mi
      Server: London

Router Stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 17.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.1 db 13.0 db

(BT have also run tests on my line and they tell me that there are no problems at all).

According to a few SkyUser members, I've just been unlucky with the people I've spoken to so far at Sky...which must mean there's still some hope

Thanks so much for your time, and I really hope that someone out there can help or offer some friendly advice
      Last edited by Saturday; 26-07-08 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Removed pointless, unhelpful follow-up Davinder post

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Re: CST...Can you please help me?

Have you tried filling in an online help form and detailing what you have just told us? - Sky Help Centre>Contact Us>Feedback - Broadband Kana

This can also be a hit and miss but there has been some good feedback recently from those that have used it.

However on looking at your stats, unless I am mistaken, you are tyelling us you are speed testing at 7Mb with a connection of 8Mb, this seems pretty good. I am not saying you should be able to connect higher but the connection to download rating seems good.

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: CST...Can you please help me?

As you are on Max you should be getting something like 12-13Mbps, but you appear to be capped by being in G.DMT instead of ADSL2+. You can try going the KANA route or continue trying to get someone who will help on the phone. Before you phone, plug the router into your Test socket, or the Master socket if you don't have an NTE5. Also unplug everything you have connected to the phone at other extensions if you are forced to use only the Master socket. You could also try disconneting the Ring wire from terminal 3 on the faceplate of your Master socket. This is not required and can cause a lot of interference to the ADSL signal.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.