Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long for setup

This is a discussion on How long for setup within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all First time post and was wondering if you might have an idea about my questions. I recently moved ...

Chimp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0238066
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How long for setup

Hi all First time post and was wondering if you might have an idea about my questions.

I recently moved house from City Centre with 8Mb BB to a more rural area as I getting old now

The area is quite far from the Exchange about 4km+ so I know people in the area get really low connection/dl speeds around 512k or so.

The previous owner was with AOL (LOL) and said that he was on 2Mb but I think he was getting confused with his download limits ( he was a bit dim as he didn't even know what "completion" was when moving).

Anyway, the muppet didn't cancel his BB until the day he moved (although I reminded him 4 weeks before hand) and I have been waiting to get Sky mid enabled.

Sky sent through the new Netgear (dark one) and said that the BB would not be enabled until 28th July a week away!! so I plugged it in to the ADSL faceplate by the front door and it appear to recognise BB signal and looked like it would infact connect at 2Mb (default profile at first?) or so but had CHAP errors (obviously I dont have an AOL account and would not authenticate). the router did get an ip address of 10.X.X.x cant remember excalty and researched a bit and AOL give those out when you cant authenticate.

Also the stats state atten 59 and SNR aound 9 for downstream and 31 /19 up so maybe jsut maybe I might get more than stated 512mb

It appeared that a few days ago when this happened the tag was on the line still so I called BT and they said it was being removed the next day and the hey presto next it was gone no more IP address etc.

I called sky....not liking them already! and said that this had been lifted and any reason for the delay now 4 days to go or so before enabling and they said "it just going to happen on 28th and it can't be sped up, they coudn't exculate it nothing" I need BB for my job!

My previous experience of ISP's ZEN/Plusnet have enabled the line asap after tags have gone within days of order being placed etc specially if line has had bb on before.

Why would it take them sooo long and does anyone know if there is a department to speak to to gently prod them?

Also I know not precise stats yet but what would you guess as the speed I might achieve?

TIA (sorry for wall of text)

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: How long for setup

It takes 5 days fullstop, cannot be accelerated. It takes that ammount of time as the database has to have time to update, BT need to go into the exchange and make the connection etc. If you had made sure the ex-owner had cleared the line of tags and then used the house moves team it may have been done a few days quicker.
      Oh and we won't mention work use on a residential service

Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for your reply very prompt!! ;-) Would have been nice that Sky team called me and said about the tags being there or mentioned them when they said there would be "no problem setting up sky whilst speaking to them as they suggested they carried out the test then showing no problems or things to slow things down"

Re work: I mean looking for work (browsing job sites, sending emails etc as I'm self employed not that using it for work would matter, as it just means I will not have proper SLA that a business connection would have and contention might be lower and I suppose no fixed IP for hosting anything like my own SMTP server or VPN etc.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If the tags were in process of removal the team may not have been overly worried by it. BT often leave the tag on till last minute if they know they are going in to the exchange to place a new provider onto the line, that's what MACs are for (to facilitate easy migration).
      1 week between order and enabling is quite common and pretty much the norm for most ISPs using ADSL, some take longer to be honest.

Dan223 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Benfleet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I was wondering, since I am moving to sky from virgin media, had bt line installed the other day, since I have no mac code etc, surley setup could be instant? Since they don't need to wait for the mac code to be transfered?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Still takes 5 days, can be longer on newly installed lines as you have to wait 5 days to allow the databases to update that BT use to say what the line can carry.

Dan223 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Benfleet
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Well we have been told to phone up 5 days after the bt line is installed in which will be Tuesday, then sky will send the router etc, so I guess it will be activated by the time we get the router?

Also would I be getting the netgear router? or the sagem router? or is it just pot luck?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Pot luck!!!

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan223 View Post
      I was wondering, since I am moving to sky from virgin media, had bt line installed the other day, since I have no mac code etc, surley setup could be instant? Since they don't need to wait for the mac code to be transfered?
      nah you dont need a mac code unless u was on virgins adsl connection

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well Today is the last day in the 7-10 days they said and nothing so far today, will check in with me Girlfriend whos at home today to see if its enabled....

If its not on by teatime then rocket up the Ar*" for Sky! If it does connect Ie the get their lazy finger out and click on "enable account" on thier radius server then I look forward to crappy 512kb BB (but not their fault that's BT's problem for not installing many exchanges around the area!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast