Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Questions I can't find answers for. Help please.

This is a discussion on Questions I can't find answers for. Help please. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; New user so bare with me here. Buying a new house and looking at new ISP and i have some ...

WhyNoMC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Questions I can't find answers for. Help please.

New user so bare with me here.

Buying a new house and looking at new ISP and i have some questions about the current sky router (netgear dg934g I believe). Sorry if this has been asked i used search and couldn't find much.

Does it have a 100mb or 1gb switch? I want to stream HD content you see and someone told me I will need 1gb to get best results.

I did read there is problems with upnp. I don't know much about networks and firewalls but would this cause a problem with streaming from a PC or NAS to my 360. (use MC for vid but just play music from dashboard)

I play games all the time any problems with Xbox LIVE?

Can you just not use the sky router and go buy your own? (read a lot about passwords etc on here and didn't understand what it was all about)

Sorry for so many questions at once. And please keep answers simple ish because I am very new to both internet and Networks (got first PC 3 months ago but learning.)

2. Advertisement
      x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Questions I can't find answers for. Help please.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

There are actually 3 routers that Sky can supply, Netgear DG834GT and Sagem F@ST 2504 are the other two.
      Not sure about the 100mb or 1 gb switch, but my router has streamed everything I've ever thrown at it.
      UPnP is no longer a problem, it was an issue for some people on the DG834GT but a firmware update has sorted this out now.
      Xbox live works fine, you may have to calls tech support once you are connected to have your Max Delays lowered (this will lower your ping times), but see how it plays first.
      You can use your own router although this is against the T&C's, but you will need to extract your username and password from the router first, as they are hardcoded into the Sky supplied ones.
      Lastly, if you want to use Xbox Live a lot, and are thinking of hosting games, make sure you go for the Max package so you can benefit from the increased upload speed.

Hope this answers most of your questions.