Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speeds and intermittent disconnect

This is a discussion on Slow speeds and intermittent disconnect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have recently joined SKY Broadband on the Max package. Tests showed I should be able to get 6 to ...

MarkMacK007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Slow speeds and intermittent disconnect

I have recently joined SKY Broadband on the Max package. Tests showed I should be able to get 6 to 7 mbps. For the last few weeks I've been getting 1.4mbps and last night it was as low as 147kbps. I have raised 5 tickets with SKY support over the last weeks and I'm quickly running out of patience. I've had as high as 6.6mbps for about two days this week since the latest ticket was dealt with. But it quickly got back to 1.4mbps. This problem was originally blamed on DLM running on my line. This has now been stopped.
      I have managed to get SKY to agree to send me a new router. Currently Netgear v2 DG934G and I've been assured the new SAGEM one is better. This problem is worse for my son who plays a lot of online games. I was originally using an extension socket wired up by my Electrician friend in the same way BT engineers would do it, same cat of cable etc. Iam now plugged straight into the main socket as I've read a lot of stuff saying not to use a socket.

Router Status
      Firmware Version V2.02.34

ADSL Port
      MAC Address 00:1b:2f:a0:d2:5f
      IP Address **************
      Network Type PPPoA
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
      Gateway IP Address 87.87.249.117
      Domain Name Server 90.207.238.97

LAN Port
      MAC Address 00:1b:2f:a0:d2:5e
      IP Address 192.168.0.1
      DHCP On
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 1760 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 416 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) SKY11621
      Region Europe
      Channel 6
      Wireless AP enable
      Broadcast Name enable

Can I expect to be rid of this problem or as I fear will it always be like this to be a SKY Bband user???

I was previously with Virgin Media and in 6 years didn't have a single outage! Granted the best speed I ever had was 2.2mbps but there is a lot to be said for consistant connectivity.
      Last edited by MarkMacK007; 29-07-08 at 09:00 PM.

2. Advertisement
      gamesaregood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow speeds and intermittent disconnect

Hello,

Can you please post your line Stats, on my V1 Netgear router its on the main page under "Show Statistics" so it may well be the same on your V2. Its the Line Attenuation & Noise Margin that we are after.

Have you tried it in the Test socket?

Can you post stats from both normal socket & test.

Michael

dt101187 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

is this a reacent disconnect or has it been since u got sky?
      call in see if dlm is on the line if not go through the basics cst can test the line or adjust profile accordingly. could also be router. how long is the disconnect for?
      is it internet light goes off or turns amber?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you sure you are on Max? Your upstream speed is that used by Mid!

Plug into the Test socket as suggested and copy & paste your before and after Statistics as already suggested. Although you are plugged into the Master socket if you have faulty internal wiring (and it does not have to be very bad) it will effect your connection speed.

If you do not have a Test socket, remove everything else that is plugged into the phone circuit, including the Sky digibox. You could also try removing the ring wire which is connected to terminal 3 behind the faceplates. This can cause a lot of interference and it's removal can sometimes give almost miraculous improvement in speed. The ring wire is not required by modern phones and even with old phones, the filter provides the same function. You may also find that it's removal improves reception at your extension socket. Remember that under normal circumstances a filter must be fitted to everything connected to the phone.

PS - I meant to say, for security reasons, it is not advisable showing your IP address on an open forum. You should edit it it out as it is not required.
      Last edited by Isitme; 25-07-08 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added info

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MarkMacK007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

dt101187 - Many thanks, Yes the disconnect is only since joining sky. The Internet light does go out and then Amber.

Isitme - Many many thanks, IP removed!!! I'm going to check the stats as you've said and then post the results.