Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Charging for engineer call out

This is a discussion on Sky Charging for engineer call out within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hmmmm, seems Sky wanted to charge me either 10.75 per month for maintenence work on my sky installation(which I've had ...

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Charging for engineer call out

hmmmm, seems Sky wanted to charge me either 10.75 per month for maintenence work on my sky installation(which I've had for over 2 years), or they want to charge me 65, just for a single engineer call out. I was disgusting with charge, so I told them 2 times, I would rather contact a local 3rd party service.

As I live in South Wales, there are many 3rd party services available, OneVision, Megaray services, to name but a few, which repair sky installations, for a certain fee. Dunno the charge with OneVision.

But I contacted Megaray, asked if they could could come and look at my installation, as over half of my channels, are either coming as no signal, or the picture shows up eventually as very pixelated and loss of signal. They said the charge for the call out is 15, and they would come along later.

they knocked on my door later on. The engineer, checked the signal with cables to the dish, there were not any problems with the cables, I went round the back, where my dish was. The engineer, checked the signal form the dish to the box. no preblems, still.

I did not know this, but I should have 3 cables conected my dish, as I have multiroom in my bedroom. I have 4 cables connected, which means one of my neighbours, is using my dish, without me knowing, and I am paying the bill. should have I have found out where that cable is going to & complain to the neighbour who has a cable conected to my dish without discussing it with me?

Anyway, there weren't any problems with all the cables, the engineer just re-aligned the dish away from trees, I think. Went back inside, the problem is still there, I agreed to let the engineer, see if the problem is with my sky+ box, or the dish. He went and tryed a basic sky box, new model sky box, mind you, the new Grey and black one. Using that box, all channels showed up with no problems. So It was my sky+ box at fault.

The engineer, charged me 150 for a new Sky+ box and no 15 call out charge. Nice fella, asked me 1st if it is ok, I rang family, to ask if ok. acceptable price, they thought, as engineer told me Sky would have charged me 200 for a replacement Sky+ box anyway. So, I agreed on price, and the engineer put a new Sky+ box in, rang sky to set it up etc.

I have had no problems, since New sky+ box has been put in, full signal, etc. The engineer left my old sky+ box with me, didnt take it with him.

My old sky+ box was replacement for my original sky+ box, so, did sky replace my original sky+ box, with a faulty one? signal was same since I've had it, not sure.

Don't care tho, I have new sky+ box, now. New sky+ box, is designed a bit diferently now, green light is now dimmer, card slot is on left side, instead of right side, scart copnnections, on the right side of the back instead of the left side of the back.
      Last edited by jdsimp1234; 23-07-08 at 12:06 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Sky Charging for engineer call out

Not sure what you expected Sky to do. They are a business afterall and running engineers around the country costs them money. You are out of warranty, what did you expect.

For the 65.00 Sky would have replaced the Sky+ box for you so you have actually paid more with the third party call than you would have with Sky actually 135.00 more, so your guy was three times Skys price (although you do have another SKY+ box you could try and sell for spare or repair but new Sky+ boxes with 160GB drives are selling for 109.00 so don't think you would get much). I think you have "cut off your nose to spite your face".

As for the neighbour using you dish, that is a little cheeky, you could speak to them and advise that you now have a second Sky+ box and will require the 4th connection for it so he will have to make other arrangements. He must be either paying for freesat or for his own packages, he is not getting them free on your account.
      Last edited by richone54; 23-07-08 at 12:58 PM. Reason: removed full preceeding quote

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If I found a neighbours cable attached to my disk, I would employ a sharp knife or pliers to remove it permanently

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I expected sky to come and do maintenence on my sky tv installation, as more than half of my channels I could not recieve, had no signal, or pictures were very pixelated, and then the signal was lost. Now, sky told me if I had extended warranty on the installation, sky would have come and replaced it there and then at no extra cost. But, they want to charge me either 10.75 per month for maintenence work, or a one off 65 engineer call out, that i was not willing to pay, so 3rd party option, was acceptable to me.

Thanks

But, Isitme, what if I actually rang sky themselves, and reported that one of my neighbours has been using my dish, without authority from myself, would they actually come out and remove that cable connected to my dish for me??

I live in a row of flats, 18 flats altogether.
      Last edited by jdsimp1234; 23-07-08 at 02:21 PM.

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The dish does not belong to sky, it belongs to you.

You can do what you want with it. Therfore they will probably not come out and remove the cable, well not without charging 65.

You have already paid over the odds for a repair.

Noone is getting anything from your subscription, the dish is a bit like an aerial, it gathers the signal but the box decodes and your card unscrambles any paid channels.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdsimp1234 View Post
      I expected sky to come and do maintenence on my sky tv installation, as more than half of my channels I could not recieve, had no signal, or pictures were very pixelated, and then the signal was lost. Now, sky told me if I had extended warranty on the installation, sky would have come and replaced it there and then at no extra cost. But, they want to charge me either 10.75 per month for maintenence work, or a one off 65 engineer call out, that i was not willing to pay, so 3rd party option, was acceptable to me.
      I am happy you thought the third party call was acceptable but do you understand that it has turned out costing you 135.00 more than Sky wanted?

65.00 now seems very reasonable to me.

Do you expect your garage to work for free on your car once it is out of warranty, of course not! My point is that you may have saved paying Sky 65 but it cost you much more than that to do it.

You should have paid Sky

Shonky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The question is would Sky have replaced the box for the call out fee? Had a similar situation about 4 months after the warranty ran out and they wanted to charge me call out plus cost of box so I said fine that makes my decision to change to Virgin very easy, without delay the matter was resolved to my 'complete satisfaction'

On another point some six months after the warranty expired I was inundated with calls from organisations trying to sell me 'service packages' so that I would 'enjoy trouble free viewing and get an annual call to check my equipment was in working order (it has worked well for over 60 yrs.... "sorry not that equipment sir !")' all for 's per month a very short and nearly polite answer was given to every caller and eventually they stopped - Sky denied giving out my phone number to anyone - so who did?

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have heard two stories:

1) The 65 call out fee covers parts / replacements.
      2) The 65 call out fee covers parts/ replacements for SKy digital but it is 99 for Sky Plus???????

Can someone confirm?
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
      The question is would Sky have replaced the box for the call out fee?
      Yes they would have.

I had an issue with a HD box I purchased from e-bay recently, rang Sky, explained that I had an HD box that I had purchased the week before from e-bay that was faulty. Arranged a call for an engineer visit two days later at a cost of 65.00 which included a replacement box if required.

Managed to get the box sorted so did not need the call so got a refund of the 65.00 that I had prepaid.

I never take extended warranty, it's not worth the money in most cases

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast