Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router or Computer Problem?

This is a discussion on Router or Computer Problem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi We have just changed to Sky from BT broadband and we recieved a new Sagem ADSL Router. Previously we ...

balsoft is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router or Computer Problem?

Hi
      We have just changed to Sky from BT broadband and we recieved a new Sagem ADSL Router. Previously we had four computers on a Home network, all working correctly. I replaced the BT Router with the Sagem Router and tested the computers finding that my wifes computer would not connect to the internet. I've checked out the computer finding that it now has the same address as the router. So I enter the her required IP address manually but I get the same response which is "Unidentified Network".
      All of our computers are hard wired, I even placed the router next to the my wifes computer and all the others disconnected and I still get the same results.
      At this point I will say that all the other computers can see my wifes computer and hers can see ours on the network . which means her in built ethernet card is working and the drivers are up to date. Unfortunatly I have not got the Address and password for our Sky router , Which would allow me to try it using my Linksys Router. Well if anyone has any idea's it would be appreciated
      Thanks
      Balsoft

2. Advertisement
      moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router or Computer Problem?

Are you using DHCP or static address's, and if DHCP then what does the router show as attached devices?

If you want to get your ADSL username and password to try your other router See this thread.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Moleman
      Actualy it shows the three computers attached but not my wifes. Yes we are using DHCP but on my wifes computer it says its not enabled. Why i've no idea. Is there a way to enable?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

What Operating system are you using?

In general for XP/Vista you'd need to go to the Network adaptor in Managing Network Connections, then select the Network Card and right click, from the menu chose Properties and highlight IPv4(in Vista) or TCP/IP in XP then select Properties - this should lead to a page about IP address and DNS. Chose Automatic for all the options.

It sounds as if your computer has a Static IP address that may be clashing with an automatic address. If you want to keep a static address then chose the manual option and select a suitable static address in the range 196.168.0.x where x=1 to 254 (Use something like 50 so it won't ever clash with automatic addressing). Submask should be 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.0.1 .

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi dms05
      Thanks for your interest, We are all operating on Vista. Although I have done this before I again set the IP and DNS to auto. Then I ipconfiged it and the IP address is now 169.256,198,218 and the Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0. and the default gateway being empty.I again set the IP Address, Submask and gateway as you suggested and again Ipconfiged it and all the figures entered correctly but the I still get the "Unidentified network". Confusing is it not. Also the DHCP is not enabled.
      Balsoft
      Last edited by balsoft; 21-07-08 at 01:20 PM.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

That looks like a Microsoft autoconfiguration address, which gives the impression the PC simply can't see the DHCP server. Check the cable between the PC and the router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am not sure where you are seeing it, but this is not a valid IP address. If it is entered in the LAN properties, then this is likely to be the source of your problem and should be removed. My advice would be to stick with DHCP. Go into the router settings and enable it. Unplug all your PCs from the router, then set your PCs to obtain an IP automatically. Leave the DNS server area blank or use OpenDNS by typing 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 into the spaces. Plug each PC back in, waiting until it has connected before plugging the next one in.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry Isitme
      When I said DCHP was not enabled I was referring to my wifes computer only. The others are all enabled. Since my wifes computer is situated close to mine I was able to swap the connection line completely to the Hub. with no change, hers still has the same problem. Intriguing eh!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like the PC is not 'seeing' the DHCP server. A couple on things you can try -
      Open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all >enter. If you see the strange address 169.*** it means it is using a private address so type ipconfig /release>enter. Type ipconfig /renew>enter. Then the /all command again, it may have corrected the problem if so you will see it has a 192.168.0.xx address.

If the above does not work, down load Winsock Repair and run it. This can fix many problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Agree with all the above. One additional thought - just maybe your wife's PC has a Firewall that is blocking the access. If it has a Firewall in use just disable it and see if that helps, if it does then you need to configure the firewall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast