Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Router or Computer Problem?

This is a discussion on Router or Computer Problem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Lads I carried out your suggestion after entering ipconfig /all the IP address was 192.254.198.218. Then ientered ipconfig /release ...

balsoft is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router or Computer Problem?

Hi Lads
      I carried out your suggestion after entering ipconfig /all the IP address was 192.254.198.218. Then ientered ipconfig /release and it said "The request operation requires Elevation". I then typed in ipconfig /renew and affter a delay it said "Error unable to contact DHCP server". Prior to this I disabled the Firewall.
      So now I will look for Winsock Repair.
      Your help is appreciated friends.
      Balsoft

2. Advertisement
      moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

When you run the release and renew options in ipconfig you need to be running with administrator privileges so open the command prompt thus:

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Whilst you are there the following may help:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that info, it was quite useful but it says it cannot see the DHCP source. I'm beginning to think that the problem is isolated to my wifes computer, and that the problem is on the motherboard in built ethernet adapter. Which brings me back to my original question which was can I install a new ethernet card and it would overide my problem.
      Thank for all the help I have recieved
      Balsoft

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Before you go to the expense and inconvenience of fitting another card, try this. Go to the Motherboard manufacturers site and download the latest driver for the adapter. Then, on your wife's machine, open the Device Manager expand the Network section and uninstall the adapter. To open the DM in Vista, click Start and type dev, the icon for the Device Manager will appear at the top of the search pane, click it to open and accept the UAC. When the uninstall is complete, check in Start>Control Panel>Programs and features that there are no references to the Network adapter, if there are any remove them.

When you have done this, go back to the Device Manager and right click Computer at the top and select 'Scan for hardware changes'. The adapter will be found. Do not allow Windows to install generic drivers, if it does not give you a choice click cancel and install from the EXE you downloaded earlier. This should give you a clean start and using the Network and Sharing Centre, you should be able to connect.

If you do decide to install another adapter, uninstall the onboard one as above, reboot and disable it in the BIOS. Shut down and install the new adapter, this should avoid conflicts.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Another suggestion to prove if the network adapter is working O.K. would be to download a "live" linux disc (linux that runs entirely from the CD without loading anything on the hard disk). If that can see the network and get an address from the router then the adapter is O.K.

If want to try this and need advice on the best live disk then ask and I'm sure someone will advise you, but i would try live suse from Software.openSUSE.org

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      Sorry for the delay as I had already reformatted and reloaded windows and the results were the same, so I ordered a new Ethernet card from Aria and recieved it today. I deleted the drivers for the faulty onboard ethernet device and fitted my new one and walla it is now working 100%. The strange part is it failed to work immediatly after we switched our router to Sky Sagem router. Anyway, after many test's that I did with your help I learnt a lot about lan setup and for that I say thankyou.
      Balsoft

dt101187 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

vista is so much more complicated than xp
      Last edited by dt101187; 23-07-08 at 07:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12