Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused!!

This is a discussion on Confused!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, I'm so confused with my sky broadband now, i've had nothing but trouble. I first brought a 10M extension ...

Skeleton.Fossil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Confused!!

Ok, I'm so confused with my sky broadband now, i've had nothing but trouble. I first brought a 10M extension cable but it wasn't long enough to go under the carpet and still reach the master socket, so i've had to go to a 20M cable. With both the cables my internet only works if i plug the phone in and then my phone cable has two sockets to plug my modem into, so i've plugged it in there, but sky says i need to use a microfilter but whenever i plug the microfilter in and then the phone and modem into that i get no connection at all? i've tried using all 3 of the microfilters that i am provided with but it still won't connect? although i get a connection without the microfilter it is extremely slow and takes about 5 minutes to load each internet page. I am suppose to have the unlimited internet but i'm clearly not getting this?

I don't understand what's going on, i'm new to all this, can someone help me?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Confused!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeleton.Fossil View Post
      Ok, I'm so confused with my sky broadband now, i've had nothing but trouble. I first brought a 10M extension cable but it wasn't long enough to go under the carpet and still reach the master socket, so i've had to go to a 20M cable. With both the cables my internet only works if i plug the phone in and then my phone cable has two sockets to plug my modem into, so i've plugged it in there, but sky says i need to use a microfilter but whenever i plug the microfilter in and then the phone and modem into that i get no connection at all? i've tried using all 3 of the microfilters that i am provided with but it still won't connect? although i get a connection without the microfilter it is extremely slow and takes about 5 minutes to load each internet page. I am suppose to have the unlimited internet but i'm clearly not getting this?

I don't understand what's going on, i'm new to all this, can someone help me?

You should have:-

Telephone socket-= then plug in the filter, the telephone plugs into one side of the filter (test it is working) and the router into the other using the leads supplied with it (you should get an orange light confirminf it is connected).

Run an erthenet cable from the router to the PC instead of a long extension lead there are four ports in the back, any will do.

You should try to get the router as near to the socket as you can and not on the end of a long extension lead.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i've just tried to use the microfilter again and it still doesn't work with it in.

Urm i really can't get it any closer? my computer is upstairs and the master socket is downstairs?

am i really just plain buggered?

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Telephone extension leads are just that. They will cause interference to the BB connection and should be avoided.

The filter in the microfiler is on the phone side so the cable from the router must not be connected at any time via the phone side of the microfilter.

You say you get a connection without the microfiter, but how are you connecting it as the router has a RJ11 connector on the end which should only fit into the ADSL side of the filter?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the extension that i got has a modem connector, the square one? that must be a RJ11? so that fits into the ADSL/modem side of the microfilter and the phone fits into the phone side.

I get no lights at all, nothing at all with the microfilter.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Put your router on the main socket and run ethernet up to the pc. You will cause yourself no end of issues using a telephone or even adsl extension cable.

silvertdci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chorley, Lancashire
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a thougth you have put a micro filter in every socket you have in your house, not just the one you are using for internet. Even if it's only for the sky it still needs a filter in the socket then the wire in to the filter.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Put your router on the main socket and run ethernet up to the pc. You will cause yourself no end of issues using a telephone or even adsl extension cable.
      urm, i don't understand that? the ethernet cable is the yellow one that goes from the modem to the pc? how do i take that to the phone socket? another extension cable? and how do i have it connecting to the pc and the modem and a 3rd wire to the phone socket???

this is so confusing

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silvertdci View Post
      Just a thougth you have put a micro filter in every socket you have in your house, not just the one you are using for internet. Even if it's only for the sky it still needs a filter in the socket then the wire in to the filter.
      I have 2 other sockets but nothing is plugged into them, do i need to plug a microfilter in even though nothing is connected to them?

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Master socket -- Filter -- Router --- Long Ethernet --- Pc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast