Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

The orange light of doom.

This is a discussion on The orange light of doom. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For around 2 weeks now I'm randomly getting connection drops. I've seen similar patterns posted here before. The net connection ...

proxi is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:

The orange light of doom.

For around 2 weeks now I'm randomly getting connection drops. I've seen similar patterns posted here before. The net connection will stop, programs like MSN will hang and then the internet light on my router will go orange, a still orange, not a flashing one. Then, a wait of anything between 10 seconds and 5 minutes usually occurs before it flicks to green, then orange, then green and again before it's working properly. Some times however, it will hang on the first switch to orange and not recover until a reboot.

We use a laptop and Wii on wireless, and a wired connection to our PS3. This problem occurs with whatever combination of things are being used, for example the laptop and the PS3, or laptop & PS3, or just the laptop. We've tried all possibilities on this score.

Our router is plugged into it's own wall socket. We have a cordless phone with a few metres away, however we've tried leaving the phone off for the day and no difference. Besides, we've had the cordless for ages and the router has only begun doing this recently.

We've also tried keeping our Sky TV box unplugged and out of use too, for fear it may be some communications problem, I wouldn't know to be honest. Microfilters have been set up fine, swapped them over to fresh spares since the problem began, but to no difference again.

Stats wise, when logged into to router admin, the laptop is hardly ever disconnected even when the problem is occuring, only once or twice has it appeared to be completely gone. The speed changes a slight bit on download, upload is constant but I notice the noise margin fluctuates between a "normal" amount and one within the region of 1220000000db during the problem as it appears to sort itself out.

This is happening around 5 or 6 times a day at least and at completely different times, we've had it at 10am, 4pm, even 4am! Here are the stats, hope they can provide clues.

System Up Time: 03:57:39
      WAN PPPoA 22921 26304 0 384 2098 02:32:43
      LAN 100M/Full 43799 63900 0 879 300 03:57:35
      WLAN 11M/54M 178626 120563 0 7327 443 03:57:22
      Connection Speed 6208 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41 db 12 db
      Noise Margin 2 db 13 db

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box

Re: The orange light of doom.

Your noise margin is very low.
      Plug your router into your BT Master test socket, and recheck your stats.
      By plugged into its own socket I assume you mean an extension, have your removed all except wires to pins 2 and 5?