Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Questions about switching to Sky

This is a discussion on Questions about switching to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hope someone can help me - I'm currently with Eclipse (who are horrific) and I want to switch to the ...

Orchid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Questions about switching to Sky

Hope someone can help me - I'm currently with Eclipse (who are horrific) and I want to switch to the Sky max package as it seems great value but just have a few worries first.

1. When I called up to discuss the package with a Sky op I was told the acceptable use policy meant if I accessed certain sites I would get warnings and potentially cut off.
      It was hard to make sense of what he was saying but he *appeared* to be telling me this related to websites where there was an age warning before entering. I assume he was talking rubbish but could someone put my mind at rest on this? I can't believe Sky really censor internet use in this way? I don't have any particularly dodgy sites in mind to visit but I don't like the idea of flagging up warnings if I happen to enter an 18+ site, as I'm considerably older than 18!

2. What's the usual turnaround time between the current ISP cutting you off and Sky switching you on? I get slight palpitations at the thought of being offline for even as little as a day - sad but true.

3. Sky did a line test when I called up and told me I could only get half a MB speeds, max. I can't quite believe this is true as other PC's on my home network get up to 3MB downloads. However the download speed on my PC is painfully slow - is this likely to improve with the switchover or am I really stuck with half a MB at best?

Sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate anyone who can take the time to help me. I'd love to switch over but don't want to make an uninformed (or wrong) decision!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Questions about switching to Sky

1. When I called up to discuss the package with a Sky op I was told the acceptable use policy meant if I accessed certain sites I would get warnings and potentially cut off.
      It was hard to make sense of what he was saying but he *appeared* to be telling me this related to websites where there was an age warning before entering. I assume he was talking rubbish but could someone put my mind at rest on this? I can't believe Sky really censor internet use in this way? I don't have any particularly dodgy sites in mind to visit but I don't like the idea of flagging up warnings if I happen to enter an 18+ site, as I'm considerably older than 18!
      Codswallop. Although I suppose certain sites would be out of bounds, as I am sure you would agree. afaik Sky do not filter any content, and if they did, and anyone looked at those out of bound sites, I agree that they should disconnect you. (not aimed at you at all) However 18+ sites, I doubt would be an issue.

2. What's the usual turnaround time between the current ISP cutting you off and Sky switching you on? I get slight palpitations at the thought of being offline for even as little as a day - sad but true.
      Once the disconnection from your old ISP is complete, probably up to about an hour usually.

3. Sky did a line test when I called up and told me I could only get half a MB speeds, max. I can't quite believe this is true as other PC's on my home network get up to 3MB downloads. However the download speed on my PC is painfully slow - is this likely to improve with the switchover or am I really stuck with half a MB at best?
      Normally, whatever speed you are currently connected to, would be the same if not better on Sky. So if you can get 3mb now, expect the same or better in the future.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you post stats from your current router we could advise on what you should be able to receive with sky.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NewsreadeR - thanks so much for your reply, 'codswallop' is what I thought too but didn't like to say it on the phone!

dholdi - at the risk of appearing slow, how do I do that?

Thanks

You need to log into your router homepage in internet explorer, for the sky router its 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, then there should be an option somewhere that says show statistics or similar. Cant say for sure unless you give me the model of router.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here's the stats from the router (well, I think):

Questions about switching to Sky-stats.jpg

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

i left eclipse for sky max in may
      sky will usually connect you after around 10 days from entering your mac code to them,
      i gave sky mac code as soon as i got it from eclipse who had a 30 notice period, so there was no downtime i came home from work 3pm sky had said aprox 12 noon for switchover from BT equipment to llu tried old router when i got home no internet connected sky router and everything was up and running
      usually if you were at home monitoring changeover it can be around 1 hour downtime

i have never looked back since leaving eclipse

Thanks

Orchid, with an attenuation of 45 you could expect around 8meg on a good line, however you have a high noise margin which suggests you may be capped to minimize line errors. 9 times out of 10 this is due to internal wiring, have a read of the 2 links below for further info.
      Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained
      Cabling and faceplate help