Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed Issue ?

This is a discussion on Speed Issue ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Been using sky now for a good couple months been getting about 1.2mb/s download through FTP and Newsgroups no problem, ...

r0s
      r0s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed Issue ?

Been using sky now for a good couple months been getting about 1.2mb/s download through FTP and Newsgroups no problem, I had the decorators in this week and they said they had to remove the phone socket in the other room, now since they have been messing around my speed has dropped to about 0.2mb/s , here are my stats

Going to have a look at the wiring tommorow and have another speedtest. If you see anything wrong with my stats please let me know.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Speed Issue ?

I notice that you have the same attenuation as me and i thought i would give you an idea of what speed you could expect, it should be something like
      10Mbps.
      At the moment it looks like you have been capped, get sky to raise your speed, the line is capable of alot more speed.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If the socket wiring has been altered you may find you now have issues on the line that is causing the drop in speed. Calling sky will do nothing unless you make sure the line is back how it was before the problem began. Check out the faceplate and cabling section for help.

r0s
      r0s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fixed.

Strange error , I removed the faceplate and looked at the wiring everything looked ok, I bought a new ADSL Face plate and a UPC connection tool for the wiring it was only 99p from B&Q wth the ADSL face plates there is only 2 wires required blue and white and blue.

I changed the plate and tested the broadband, I was getting a slow speed , I decided to run the ADSL direct to the router as currently it is feeding into the master bedroom and then into the main socket in the lounge.

After connecting a 10m ADSL line direct I was getting the right speed 1.2Mb/s , How strange there has to be an error with the master bedroom or the office , turns out the office wiring was very poor and somehow became damaged I replaced the wiring and now im getting a good speed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The Master socket is the first one on the phone line into your house. It could be the one in the bedroom, this is quite normal where the supply line comes in at a high level. In a properly wired circuit, there is only one master, ie with a test socket behind it. It is easy enough to check, when the faceplate of the Master socket is removed, all other sockets should be dead. Removing an extension faceplate will leave the Master socket live.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.