Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Difference In Sky Speeds.

This is a discussion on Difference In Sky Speeds. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Gaz, Please try looking at your router stats as previously suggested. Its the only accurate measurement of the speed of ...

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Difference In Sky Speeds.

Gaz,

Please try looking at your router stats as previously suggested.
      Its the only accurate measurement of the speed of your connection.

The results you get from a speed test programme will vary during the day depending on how many folks are on line etc.

You need to establish a benchmark for your link which you haven't done yet.

PS You should have connections to pins 2 and 5 only on your extension, the bell wire pin 3 should be carefully removed at both ends. It acts as an aerial which puts noise on the line.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Also remember that all connections to the phone line must go through a filter. This includes the Sky digibox. An unfiltered connection being in use could account for your low speed in the Master socket at the time you tried it. Getting a faster speed than you can get from the Master/Test socket is impossible. It could also be DLM at work on your line, until you copy and paste the stats from the router into the thread, it is difficult to say what is wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Gaz1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok im now on the computer upstairs using the Wire Extension,

Im not using the phoneline from upstairs which goes downstairs, im having a wire connected directly to the router down into the main phonesocket which looks like a complete mess haha .

I have looked at both the phone sockets and as far as what i can see they look exactly how you described.

Router Statistics;

Modem

ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 15323 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 764 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Regards,

Gaz

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have an excellent connection speed and a healthy noise margin, you will not do any better until some day in the future when Sky decide to lift the speed to 24Mbs. You should be very happy.

Remember to make sure filters are used on all connections and you will have no problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Great stats, and I hate you, btw whats it like living in a telephone exchange?

evilape619 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782632079
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Sky Speeds.help me

hi all i have just done a speed test and her r my results

i dont think i am geting the most out of my internet
      i have sky max i have xp installed and i what to no is theer anything i can ddo to inproov it

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You do know that what ever package you take you can only get the speed that your line will take don't you? Can you get your router stats and post what it is synching at as a download speed and upload speed plus what your attenuation and SNR levels are?

Gaz1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well,

Firstly. I dont have my Sky+ Box connected to the phone line for some reason, i remember the guy from flooring pulling it out mum said anyway whilst i was at school, i've had a look myself and clueless, but ive been using the box 100% fine, Although i do recieve a message when i first turn it on

"To ensure sky+ full capabilities please make sure the sky box is plugged into a active phoneline"
      Secondly. Can you see why im so confused? It just makes me so annoyed, I get varied speeds around the house. maybe im just under DLM which could explain the freaky old disconections from router and major loss of speed.

Living in the exchange (In the area at which the fullest speed is capable, i think thats what it means) Is'nt bad, I now get downloads of 1.5-7Mbs on Rapidshare/Mediafire/Megaupload However the speed's for torrents suck xD but i cant have everything

@ Evilape, Check your wires, Make sure the main wires are connected to the mastersocket (aka the downstairs one). Make your wire extension's as short as possible, OR
      Plan - Place the router downstairs and have a RJ45 aka Lan Cable run all the way upstairs into your PC. and a RJ11, Ethernet cable into your Mastersocket.

Btw, If i was to place the router downstairs, And have a RJ45 (Lan) cable run all the way into my room, will that affect the speed increase/decrease. Also what does NoiseMargin mean? Sorry im kind of a noob at some of this,
      i plan to take IT (Technician) @ Basildon ITEC specialst college for IT and maybe networking (Because that's where the big moneys at xD) at Uni .

Thank you all so much for your Help, Especially you Penrhyn

Regards,

- Gaz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12