Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Not sure what to do!!

This is a discussion on Not sure what to do!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, wondering if someone can help me out. Basically, i'm in a "new build" house. So the lines are ...

onlytemp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: birchwood
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Not sure what to do!!

Hey guys, wondering if someone can help me out.

Basically, i'm in a "new build" house. So the lines are **** from here to the main road (about 100metres).

My local exchange is BIRCHWOOD, Lincoln, lincolnshire.

Sky are NOT llu enabled there. So they stuck me on sky connect, which is a) a rip off and b) absolutely terrible.

Right my current speeds are:
      Downstream- 130kbps (yes thats only 2.5 x 56k..)
      Upstream - 370kbps (yes thats 3 x my downstream)

And i'm sick of it. I've emailed sky/rang them etc, but they dont have a clue. And arent enabled at local exchange anyway.

Orange (wanadoo) and BT are bother llu enabled at local exchange. But when i use there sites to check speed availability they all say "1mb" even though its up to 8mb from the exchange.

So i don't know if moving to them will actually be any better? Not sure if its the lines from the house, or because sky isnt enabled at my exchange that i'm getting crap speeds.

Any thoughts?

2. Advertisement
      x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Not sure what to do!!

Without your router stats, ie attenuation and noise margin we can't really tell you much mate. What I will say though, from personal experience, is that if you have a choice between Orange Broadband and 35 years hard labour in a Siberian salt mine, get your pickaxe out.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

How long have you been connected? Connect has a training period of up to 10 days. During that time the speed can fluctuate wildly. For the best chance of a good connection you should disconnect and reconnect to the exchange every evening. The best way to do this is to switch off the power to the router for 30secs, then switch on again. This ensures that you are resynced with the exchange.

If you have been connected for more than 10 days, go to BT Speedtest enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the router by using one of the utilities available on the forum.

You should be able to use this report when phone Sky, but it will depend on who takes your call as Sky TS do not seem to be trained for Connect customers. This tester is always busy, it could take several attempts to get on.

Post the results of the test and the router statistics, this will give an indication of what is wrong. It would be better if you get the detailed stats, using the utility at MelsNotes (Scroll down the page) It is possible that you are so far from the exchange that a good ADSL connection is impossible. In such a case, Sky will normally return your money and cancel the contract.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504

Have you tried the test/master socket ?

Also the router stats would help massively, so we can help even more.

It does not make a difference how far form the main road you are, it is. Router to exchange which makes the difference.

Even a new build house can have problems.