Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

download limit exceeded.

This is a discussion on download limit exceeded. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i am on the connect package (this was sorted out by my wife) and did not know about the ...

momorris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

download limit exceeded.

Hi i am on the connect package (this was sorted out by my wife) and did not know about the download limit. I thought we were unlimited. What are the likely results from dowloading 100 gig in a month (and about the same up as well)?. Is their a fee for going over?.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: download limit exceeded.

nothing is enforced as yet from Sky on the LLU but can't say for sure about Connect as it's BT's connection...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its okay i read a few posts down and that answers the question. - Nothing at the moment. Forgot to add the amount of download was a one off and just in 1 month.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks IAmNotTheEnemy. You must have posted as i was writing my second part. Ill see what happens and if anything does ill post up.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think there is a record of anyone being charged for being over the limit, or up to present any other action being taken. In saying that, as you are on Connect with a limit of 40 Gb, Sky have to pay BT for this bandwidth and it is very likely that Connect users will be the first to feel the pinch, if and when they start enforcing limits. What you have to hope is that when they do it will not be retrospective. The going rate for 1 Gb is about 70-100p, so you would have quite a bill if they do. The saving factor may be if BT charge in bulk, instead of by individual line. In which case the many others who stay well within their limit are subsidising your usage.

The relevant part of the T & Cs is-
      If you exceed your Usage Cap, we will contact you by email to let you know that you have done so
      If you have not received an email you have little to worry about for the present.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

solidstan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by momorris View Post
      Is their a fee for going over?.
      When I took out my MID Package, I asked this question.
      Sky told me, If I go over 1 month, nothing would happen.
      If I went over a second month IN A ROW, I would receive a letter telling me how much I used and explaining that if I went over again they would automaticly upgrade the package.
      And going over 3 MONTHS IN A ROW, my package would be automaticly upgraded without any further comunication!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If and when the FUP is actually policed then that may well be the case, at the moment the only "abuse" that impacts your service is if you end up with a virus or trojan that sets off the alarms by chucking loads of traffic or email out.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Simply put if you go over the DL limit your mac address will be suspended and until the abuse is lifted of the account and the mac address re-enabled you wont be able to get online this would be commonly known as an error code 200 (authentication failed) quite easy to check via the router settings page (Sky test)

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

BT have been enforcing their FUP for a couple of years now to BT customers, when BT had a download cap of 40 gig/month (recently changed to "unlimited") I have seen numerous letters on the web from BT customers who did 100-150 gig with a narky letter from them asking them to pay for the extra bandwidth.

All that BT can do is send those letters to Sky as it is connect and Sky are the ones billing you, as somebody else said ppl who aren't using their allocation may have their bandwidth allocated to you for this month.

But who knows what goes on the Sky and BT ivory towers?

If you don't get a letter or email then you'll be ok.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Simply put if you go over the DL limit your mac address will be suspended and until the abuse is lifted of the account and the mac address re-enabled you wont be able to get online
      It is not quite as simply as that. Sky must contact you several times before you can be suspended and suspension is only one of the possible options. There is no mention of the MAC address being blacklisted, it is more likely a block would be placed on the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast