Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Working but at 288kbps up and down!

This is a discussion on Working but at 288kbps up and down! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am now connected and everything working just fine, 1 day before my actual activation date. However, it is working ...

greg123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Working but at 288kbps up and down!

I am now connected and everything working just fine, 1 day before my actual activation date. However, it is working Working but at 288kbps up and down!!!!!

I previously had 5mb on the line and obvioulsy due to this tiny 1/4 meg speed my SNR noise margin is huge at 32, no errors/disonnections. It's like I am throttled at 1/4 meg when I should be maxing out around 5mb (loop att 43.5).

Will this resolve it's self tomorrow on my activation date? Or do I need to do something?

I was with another LLU who took over the line, then I went back to BT and a bare BT line, now a 'new' broadband customer with Sky.
      Regards, Greg
      Freelance IT, 2yrs IT support mgr UK's largest call ctr
      Hobby ex mechanic so cars, campers, bikes - guitar
      Currently teaching security staff again (12yrs in frontline industry - pubs/clubs/close protection etc)
      Ex Sky customer, now with 02 -cheaper and faster.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Greg

If you read this post it will explain whats probably happened With Reference to Capping when you are connected

Call SkyBB TS and tell them whats going on and they will get it sorted for you.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you for the welcome!

I called, they said it was because I wasn't provisioned yet. They also told me I wouldn't be getting broadband yet... I pointed out I was.

Essentially they say it will work properly tomorrow, but the scottish girl on the phone though polite had no clue about adsl so I don't think the call has any relation to if it will or won't work tomorrow, I'll just have to wait and see!

I will post back my results.
      Regards, Greg
      Currently teaching security staff again (12yrs in frontline industry - pubs/clubs/close protection etc)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sorry Greg but I don't think thats quite right if it was Tech Support you called they could have sent your case to provisioning and they would sort it.

Try calling them again just encase
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well it's my activation date today, so I should have broadband today, and I do - but 288kbps up and down! Phoned back (again) and spoke to another chatty and helpful young lady (!!!) who asked me questions such as have I used a filter.... (already knowing the unit was working perfectly while I was on the phone to her on the same line....). Anyhow got it passed through to tier 3 with a ticket number as she admitted herself they can't actually do anything on the phone and I was advised it could be up to 2 days before someone has a look at the problem, they are then supposed to call me when they have done so.

This is pretty standard so far, eg no one knowing what they are talking about/not able to fix anything on the phone. Only people I found different were NDO who when I phoned them could do everything other than pull wires at the exchange right there and then and consistantly got rated top ISP for customer service, however they are expensive.....

Fingers crossed I get sorted today or tomorrow.

Greg.
      Regards, Greg

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep it does seem odd doesn't it, I hope they get you sorted sooner than that so good luck and fingers crossed.
      Ray

click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Ray.

Here is today's update:

Spoke to Chelsea 23/09/06 from tech support & got passed to tier 2 Aaron who informed me that tier 3 are out of service due to phone problems and won’t be taking any calls till wed as Sat/Sun their phone system is being upgraded, till Wed they will be doing callbacks. He seemed unsure when I would get a callback or the issue resolved and said the original person (Mary Ellen) was incorrect in saying within 48 hours.

So 3rd day I'm still stuck on 1/4 meg and am currently experiencing the same quality of service that I left Bulldog for.

Fingers and toes crossed something happens on Monday.....

Greg.
      Regards, Greg

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Seems tier 3 have so many problems to sort out that you could be having the problems a bit longer but lets hope once they sort you out you get great speeds
      Ray

click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sad news (see below) now 6 days in and still no one has looked at the problem.... Also they made me pay 40 activation fee saying my area wasn't to get enabled for months so I went on connect, I find just days later via easynet it has been enabled and even sky's own site now lists me in a 'max' area! If I had been given the correct information I'd have waited 7 days, saved 40 and got on 16mb max! Anyhow here is the latest installment - if anyone has a postal complaints address please pm me it as I think I deserve a bit of compensation now....

25/09/06 spoke to David who said it was work in progress and I am due a call back. 26/09/06 Spoke to James who gave me the complaints email re max being available when I was told it wouldn’t be for months and thus costing me a 40 activation wasted on the inferior Connect service. He passed me to tier 3, held on line for ages – no answer, he apologised & mailed his supervisor and said I would be called back today & his supervisor would get some action moving in tier 3. 27/09/06 Michael spoke to his manager Christian and they took my mobile number and assured me I would be called back today as they are escalating the issue. At 9pm I’m still stuck on 288kbps up and down and no call back.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 27-09-06 at 10:57 PM. Reason: removed Christian's surname
      Regards, Greg

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For anyone following this thread...

27/09/06 spoke to Gary who said my ticket had been closed for no reason on the 22nd! He also said that they had in the notes I was getting 2mb, when I’m getting 1/4mb! Also there were notes from tier 3 who said ‘customer not on sky exchange if problem refer to BT’ as he said unless I was on a sky network they can’t help, but no one has passed the problem through to BT. He said everyone previous had done it wrong, the reason Tier 3 cancelled it is as I am on connect Tier 2 should have passed it to BT after a ‘whoosh’ test. I stayed on the line around 15 minutes while a ‘whoosh’ test was carried out, test came back inconclusive. New case number 117316 and been passed to Tier 2 for investigation and passing to BT to log a fault. Someone will call me back to update me with progress, one test says I can only get 256kbps but another shows I can get 8.1 meg – coupled with the inconclusive Whoosh test indicates there is some problem on the line/exchange that BT need to sort out. I explained again I was getting a solid 5mb no problems just a couple weeks ago with the old provider.
      Regards, Greg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)