Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Working but at 288kbps up and down!

This is a discussion on Working but at 288kbps up and down! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Damn Greg sorry to be reading all this mate I hope someone gets you sorted out soon....

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Damn Greg sorry to be reading all this mate

I hope someone gets you sorted out soon.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

2. Advertisement
      greg123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your support Ray!

Latest update is still no action, update from yesterday below. Basically while I was away someone phoned up and said to my wife 'that is the fastest your line will go' and it seems BT say either there isn't a fault or there is a noise (can't seem to clear up which). My facts that I have just come off a solid 4.5mb for 18 months, and the fact that I currently have a SNR in excess of 30 doesn't stop people still thinking my line is maxed out at 1/4 mb.....

04/10/06 still at 288kbps, spoke to Chris who put me on hold where somehow I was able to hear fully another customers conversation including all her personal details and password. I was then transferred to tier 2 – Martin – who had not heard of logging a fault with BT from tier 2 and could see no updated information on my problem. He said he would speak to a tier 3 agent and call me back in the afternoon, I asked him to call again if he got voicemail rather than leave a message and gave my mobile number as well. Ticket 120761 given as BT have returned back to sky saying there is no problem with the line. Been sent up to tier 3, I am to be called back.
      Regards, Greg
      Freelance IT, 2yrs IT support mgr UK's largest call ctr
      Hobby ex mechanic so cars, campers, bikes - guitar
      Currently teaching security staff again (12yrs in frontline industry - pubs/clubs/close protection etc)
      Ex Sky customer, now with 02 -cheaper and faster.

teapot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi greg im in same boat

hi greg im in the same boat and reading your story is the same as mine word for word even the conversations you are having for a matter of interest i dont know if your a early bird but i work 6 - 2 so ive been doing test before work about 5 am and am getting nearly 8 meg of speed then when i log on at 3 pm and the rest of day is 1/4 of a meg it would be interesting to hear how you go on ????
      cheers teapot
      Last edited by teapot; 05-10-06 at 09:59 PM.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sorry to see you are both having the same problem but if anyone can get it sorted tier 3 can or at least from what I have read form some of the other members would suggest this.

Good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Ray, Tier 3 have had the issue 3 times and no luck so far but fingers crossed! I'm now on the complaints route as well, ADR, Ofcom, Watchdog, Trading Standards etc. Can but try.....
      Last edited by Wheelie; 06-10-06 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post.Please use QUOTE sparingly please use @User Name this helps keep the forum tidy thanks
      Regards, Greg
      Currently teaching security staff again (12yrs in frontline industry - pubs/clubs/close protection etc)

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Teapot,

Thanks for the info. I'll try mine tonight early in the AM and see how goes!

May I ask have you logged into the router and checked the sync speed? As my issue isn't just throughput speed, the sync speed is exactly 288kbps up and down as well giving me about 1/4 meg after overheads when I do a speed test.

If you haven't done already go to http://192.168.0.1 user=admin pass=sky when you are getting 8mb and let me know what the Down and UpStream connection speed says.

Cheers, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by teapot View Post
      hi greg im in the same boat and reading your story is the same as mine word for word even the conversations you are having for a matter of interest i dont know if your a early bird but i work 6 - 2 so ive been doing test before work about 5 am and am getting nearly 8 meg of speed then when i log on at 3 pm and the rest of day is 1/4 of a meg it would be interesting to hear how you go on ????
      cheers teapot
      Regards, Greg

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ha ha you have spoke to tier three

hi greg ive also gone through the settings thing with sky tec team all my router settings were spot on, but still got problems they are leaving it with bt to sort out this was reported on the 1st october but still no joy if i recall my upload 8064 hope this is right lets hope we beat this problem carnt wait to hear how you go on in morning its lightening speed compared to this speed in day and evening oh forgot to mention my line failed a sky whooosh line test thats why it got reported to bt
      Last edited by teapot; 06-10-06 at 09:15 PM.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well it's about 4.45am and I have just rebooted the router, guess what still 288kbps up and down. So I don't think it's the same issue you have had, sorry!

Your upload can't have been anywhere near 8064, where are you getting these figures from? Have you logged in to http://192.168.0.1 with username=admin pass=sky? If so post the bit below by clicking on 'router status' in the left payne and then on the 'statistics' button at the bottom.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 288 kbps 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.0 db 29.0 db
      Noise Margin 30.1 db 30.0 db
      Regards, Greg

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

speed

ive got them here greg sorry its no better but still who want to use the internet at that time hope they sort it out soon driving me crazy DownStream Connection Speed 8096 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      cheers mate
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.6 db 24.0 db
      what do you think ??????????
      Last edited by teapot; 07-10-06 at 09:25 PM.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You are running at 8 meg and have some spare margin (a good SNR noise margin) and also a low line Attenuation meaning you are near the exchange. Nothing wrong with your sync, you are hooked up dead fast! So if you are having trouble I recommend trying this speed test http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ at a variety of times. I suspect the 'pipe' into the internet is causing your problem rather than your sync to the exchange which is clearly perfect.

Get a load of varied times speed tests and let us know how it goes.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by teapot View Post
      ive got them here greg sorry its no better but still who want to use the internet at that time hope they sort it out soon driving me crazy DownStream Connection Speed 8096 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      cheers mate
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 14.6 db 24.0 db
      what do you think ??????????
      Regards, Greg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)