Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will BT install a master socket when I am paying SKY line rental?

This is a discussion on Will BT install a master socket when I am paying SKY line rental? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Following my earlier thread regarding what my maximum speed would be given my line stats I have found that what ...

davethebb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01233
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Will BT install a master socket when I am paying SKY line rental?

Following my earlier thread regarding what my maximum speed would be given my line stats I have found that what I tought was a master socket is not. It seems that it was for an old second line which was installed (now disconnected) by BT about 5 years ago and they somehow connecting the existing line internal extension using the same mulipair cable used for the extension to the spare room. Anyway my question is simple will BT come a install a new master socket on my old line when I paying SKY the line rental and if so is there any tricks of the trade to get them to do it for free? Dave.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Will BT install a master socket when I am paying SKY line rental?

First of all, if you are paying line rental to Sky then you are not BT's customer and any requests for work on the line/fitting new sockets or whatever would have to come via Sky, althrough Openreach will carry out the work.
      Unless there is a fault which would entail the replacement of the master socket (is there any noise on the line, pops or crackles?) then this would not be for free. As you rent from Sky, I am not sure what the costs would be, so you will have to ask Sky.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Will BT install a master socket when I am paying SKY line rental?

If you can hear crackles etc, but there is no test socket then you will be charged. I was told about 140 quid for a call out fee.