Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this the Wrong ADSL/Phone Lead ?

This is a discussion on Is this the Wrong ADSL/Phone Lead ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry if this is in the wrong place but i couldnt find anywhere else to put it My Router has ...

lizziefrench is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Is this the Wrong ADSL/Phone Lead ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but i couldnt find anywhere else to put it

My Router has just been installed by the engineer. But he seems to have used a wrong cable.

The "Grey Cable". ASDL to the modem socket on the Microfilter, is a black cable .One end going into the router ADSL socket and the other end has a telephone connection going into the phone socket on the filter.
      This is incorrect according to the instruction book. I cant get through to anyone on the phone so thought maybe someone here could put me straight.

Help really appreciated
      thank you

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Is this the Wrong ADSL/Phone Lead ?

yes it's the wrong one, you need one with the small plastic square plugs either end...you have an modem cable...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

vince is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Evesham
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is the connection working and at a suitable speed? I would suggest it shouldn't be as the phone socket on the filter is the one that actually filters out the ADSL connection.

edit after re-reading the OP.....

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Eh? Was it a pukka Sky engineer or some local contractor working on behalf of Sky.

The microfilter normally has clear markings for Phone and Modem. The Sky router should be connected by whatever cable fits to the Modem socket on the microfilter. If the engineer has somehow managed to use a cable with a RJ11 plug (small clear plastic, two or four gold contacts) at one end and a BT Modular plug (flat white plug with four to six gold contacts) then he has used the wrong cable entirely.

In the box that the Sky router and microfilters came in there should be the spare bits that the engineer didn't use. Check to see if you can find a cable (any colour) that has the RJ11 plugs at each end - small clear plastic, with 2 to 4 contacts visible - see the attached picture for guidance ..
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this the Wrong ADSL/Phone Lead ?-rj11_rj12_rj45.jpg  
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Thanks

Many thanks to all.

I knew it was wrong. But i wanted it confirmed. Now i can get back on the phone.

Its not working yet i dont think. I was keeping an eye on it waiting for it to be activated, and the lights jusk kept flashing all over.
      Oh there were no bits an pieces in the box, not even the filters, but after reading how they were rubbish i'd allready bought my own.The engineer was really miserable, he wouldnt even put a faceplate on for me !

Many thanks

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lizziefrench View Post
      The engineer was really miserable,
      Do you know if he was Sky or an independent contractor? Either way, complain to Sky about him. Clearly he does not have much of a clue, which makes me think he'll be a local contractor, not properly trained, perhaps even new on the job.

When I had my dish install the local contractor didn't even turn up for three appointments. I told Sky that I would not accept a non-Sky installer, which they gladly arranged, and the rest is happy history.

You should have had a bundle of spare bits left in the Sky box - the engineer should not have taken them away, they're yours!!

BTW, the Sky filters are not as bad as reputed. Of all my friends and associates with Sky I am the only one with an ADSLNation filter, and they are not exactly suffering with problems..... I can't say that the ADSLNation has actually benefitted me, but it does give a nice warm feeling
      Last edited by Netgeezer; 28-06-08 at 07:23 PM.
      [Albert Einstein]

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you looked at a Sky sat installation with an educated eye you would not say that. All that I have seen have no tape around the F-connectors, and most have kinked cable. Their phone connections to Sky boxes can be dreadful. Luckly, most people do their own broadband.
      Last edited by Brian69; 28-06-08 at 07:51 PM.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Lizzie

Did you get the router by courier from sky or did the "engineer" bring it with him? Either way it sounds like you have been given a 2nd hand router which should only be used to replace a failed one that will already have its "bits". You must get on to sky and insist on a new router.

I find the filters supplied with my netgear excellent (much better than some rubbish I bought in B&Q!). If you have a filtered face plate to fit you wont need any filters anyway.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      If you looked at a Sky sat installation with an educated eye you would not say that. All that I have seen have no tape around the F-connectors, and most have kinked cable. Their phone connections to Sky boxes can be dreadful. Luckly, most people do their own broadband.
      To be honest I have had a mixture of Sky staff and Sky contractors work on my set-up at two homes. In all cases the contractors were rubbish leaving their work exactly as you describe. But in the cases where I had Sky fitters the work has been done to a sufficiently high standard, complete with the self-vulcanising tape on the connectors at the dish.

I have to agree totally with what you say about the phone connectors. In each and every single case I have re-made these myself. You'd think they'd not heard about a cable grip.
      [Albert Einstein]

Thanks

Smile Re: Is this the Wrong ADSL/Phone Lead ?

Good Morning to you all.

What a dissapointing start to Sky Broadband, especially after the nice young man who fitted the Dish for the TV. That was First Class Service. He got a cuppa tea and home made cake.

Ive waited nearly 3 weeks, for this so called "engineer". If i had known it was so simple,I would have done it myself. I may be an old woman but even i could attach a couple of wires.
      The Router is a Sagem F@st. The box was allready open, i thought he opened it. All i got was the Router, Ethernet Cable, Mains Adapter, and the black cable. + the CD.

All i want is the correct cable, by enginneer or even by post which ime sure would be quicker. I dont care if the routers not brand new, as long as it works properly with no other problems, then i will be happy.
      But if i dont get what i want, [soon] believe me they will soon know about it !!...Never get on the wrong side of a bad tempered old woman, Especially me.
      I found this forum by accident and have spent my time going through it all. Has been worth reading, at times given me a good laugh.Ive learnt a lot.

Keep up the good work fella's. Your Time and Efforts here are much appreciated, ime sure there are hundreds out there like me, who would be lost without you.

Thanks to all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast