Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New to Sky Broadband - Wireless Printer Help needed

This is a discussion on New to Sky Broadband - Wireless Printer Help needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, This is my first post so sorry if its a bit long.... I have just moved from Orange Broadband ...

olivda is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry New to Sky Broadband - Wireless Printer Help needed

Hi,

This is my first post so sorry if its a bit long....

I have just moved from Orange Broadband to SKY Broadband and knew that the switchover would not be straightforward. I moved from Orange as they are the only company ever which I have ended up screaming down the phone at!

Anyway, Sagem router received, managed to connect my laptop wirelessly really quickly (did not use set-up disc). Email was a headache as I wanted to use my existing email addresses and not be forced onto the Sky Googlemail system. Anyway thanks to the skyuser SMTP server it was not a problem too long.

Now for the final problem which I am scratching my head over. I have a non-wireless printer (epson RX425). With Orange I was able to plug the printer USB cable straight into the Orange livebox, then enable a function in the livebox called 'Liveprinter' (which only worked after finding a hack on an Orange user forum!) and be able to print wirelessly from my laptop. Doesn't seem to be the same set-up with the Sky Sagem router - no USB socket just LAN sockets only! Not quite sure how to proceed, is it a case of getting a different router (probably), is there a USB cable adapter (probably not), or is it new printer time and put old printer on eBay (possibly)?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
      olivda
      Last edited by olivda; 30-06-08 at 10:44 AM. Reason: PLEASE DELETE THREAD - FOUND ANSWER - CANNOT SEE THAT I CAN DELETE THIS!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: New to Sky Broadband - Wireless Printer Help needed

Moved to Sky Broadband help for bigger audience.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

pebbleheed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 3 for 26
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

It sounds like the Orange hardware had a built in print server, which the Sky provided hardware does not. The hardware provided by Sky are routers only, not routers with print servers built in.

You have a few options, here's 4 to consider

1 - Buy a small print server and connect it to an ethernet port on your router and connect your printer to that.

2 - Replace your printer with one that has a built in print server (better still, get one with a wireless print server built in).

3 - Use printer sharing. By this I mean install the printer directly to a PC, set it to be shared over the network and this way all other hardware can print to it. The only problem is that the PC has to be on at all times to allow access to the printer.

4 - Buy a router with a built in print server and risk using it on Sky's network.

Option 3 would be the cheapest, option 2 would get the best results but cost the most and option one would be somewhere in the middle.

Even if you find a 'usb cable adapter' as you suggest, you'll only have part of a solution because the printer will need a print server function somewhere in the mix to allow it to communicate with the network. The physical connection via USB or ethernet is only part of your problem as the router is only a router and not a print server and router.

Sky's routers have been nothing but trouble for me, I've had to set up a DIY solution at home to fix problems that they cause and that Sky's support team cannot fix. Good luck with them

If you need any further details on any of the above let me know.
      Last edited by pebbleheed; 02-07-08 at 02:15 AM.

Still NO solution from Sky! Still not fixed!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I'd use an external print server in this case personally but they're not exactly cheap. however, if you were looking to get another router with one built in then it would be cheaper...

EDIT: they're not tha expensive actually, around 30-50...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Or a new printer, I've recently purchased a HP C5280 for under 60 (Tesco) this has an ethernet port which you can then connect straight to the router and share. I would agree that option 3 will work, and is reasonably easy to do, but unless it is attached to a PC that is always on, it can a pain. I suppose between 1 and 2 it's a question of do you want a new printer?

AWW
      AWW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Kilbride,WSEKI
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you wanted it on the cheap you could get a lexmark printer? i know i know lexmark are rubbish but they are dirt cheap, most of them now have wireless printing.
      - Andrew W -

briancst1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIBYS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Splash Out Buy A Good Printer

nitromad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: warrington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AWW View Post
      If you wanted it on the cheap you could get a lexmark printer? i know i know lexmark are rubbish but they are dirt cheap, most of them now have wireless printing.
      have u seen cost of lexmark replacment ink? (that i can find anyways) the printers are cheap but high markup on new replacement inks i got rid of my lexmark because i could save money in long run.

gavin