Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Loss of sync/line fault

This is a discussion on Loss of sync/line fault within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi chaps/chapesses. I've had some trouble with my line recently - both with voice and data. My voice and line ...

chrismaths is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYRWD
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Loss of sync/line fault

Hi chaps/chapesses.

I've had some trouble with my line recently - both with voice and data. My voice and line rental is still with BT, so I'm caught in a lovely game of pass-the-punter-back-and-forth!

Symptoms
      Initially, I lost dial tone but retained broadband access. After reporting to BT, I now have no broadband sync and voice quality also poor (lots of static crackle on the line, two tone dial tone).

Setup
      Black DG934 router connected directly to master socket (NTE5) through a filtered faceplate. Have also tried connection directly to master socket with an alternative microfilter. PC connected via Ethernet. Computer can access router interface so that connection is fine.

Action taken so far:
      Raised fault with BT (Sunday).
      Router reboot, router reset. All wires and connections checked, alternative cables tried. Alternative router (own DG834 v2) to check for line sync.

BT have stated to me that after examination of equipment at the exchange (Rawdon) there is a fault with some Sky equipment that is causing the problem. They have also told me that they emailed Sky on Monday morning asking Sky to fix this - but as yet no reply. They are going to revert my line to voice only today to "fix" the voice problem.

I ran out of patience with the support rep after 20 minutes of pointless troubleshooting on a crackling line, so I have emailed broadbandtechnicalsupport@bskyb.com with all the salient details (which bounced grrr - filled in form on website - anyone got a better contact?).

Any idea what else I can do?

Thanks for any advice!
      Last edited by chrismaths; 25-06-08 at 02:04 PM. Reason: update

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Loss of sync/line fault

Not a lot more you can do. BT require Skys authority to work on their kit and get this problem fixed, in the mean time they will by-pass it to sort your telephone problem.
      How long this will take to fix is anyones guess. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If they revert you back to voice only make sure you check at that point if you still have noise on the line, remove everything but a phoe from your line for testing and see if there is crackling/ hissing etc. IF there is then the fault is the line and not the ADSL equipment.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks.

S'pose I'll find out tonight...

Highly frustrating though.

shawon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poplar
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Same thing happens to me.... whenever mum picks up the phone my broadband line is cut and I need to physically disconnect / reconnect the main line after the phone call to restore broadband connectivity...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

do you have filters on ALL sockets? and are you running off an extention? chances are fault is at your end...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

IANTE the OP has another thread that you just posted in

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmm. That's not the same problem as me at all.

Anyway, BT say they are going to fix my voice today by fair means or foul, so it looks like good bye broadband for a bit.

Sky responded to my email with:

After checking your exchange I can find no known issue on our status information to suggest that there is an issue that would effect your connection. However I have raised this with our Customer Solutions Team for further investigation.
      I take it that this is a good thing.

I did try to run a test on your line this morning but found your router was switched off. Would you please make sure that your router is switched on and connected to the telephone line to allow us to run some tests.
      This is the sort of thing that pees me off. My router is on and connected (at least physically). Maybe Sky could train their staff to understand the limitations of their diagnostic tools. Or possibly to read the customer's email!

Hopefully once BT have removed the offending piece of Sky equipment (I bet it's just a dodgy wire...) Sky will be unable to tell me that there is no problem.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They saw port down during the test which they interpreted as your router is not connected to the line. Once BT do their bit check for line noise etc, call Sky tech they will check for the ticket and put you through to cst.