Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving To Sky Next Thursday

This is a discussion on Moving To Sky Next Thursday within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hey all, we recently decided to change from virgin media due to there capping and over priced packages, now the ...

plast3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable 01582
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Moving To Sky Next Thursday

hey all,

we recently decided to change from virgin media due to there capping and over priced packages, now the question im after an answer for.

I live in a 3 storey town house with the master socket in the front room on the middle floor at the moment my cable is on the ground floor with the 2 main computers, would it be possible for me to run a phone extension wire. From the main socket in the front room, through the floor to the downstairs with no loss of speed. i need the router on the first floor and not on the second as this isnt an option. As ive got my computers hardwired downstairs then wireless upstairs.

Also i apprently live 2.9km from exchange via roads and ive been told ill only get 4mb is this true or could i increase this before i get the broadband activated next thursday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers steve

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Moving To Sky Next Thursday

Difficult to say what speed you will get, however the speed checker tool here says between 8-10mbps for your distance from the exchange.
      Don't know what you mean about getting it improved before you are activated, your router will sync up at the fastest speed it can. You cannot reduce the attenuation of the line between you and the exchange short of moving closer to it!
      Yes you can use an extension, if you follow the guidelines here:

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

you shouldn't lose much if any speed.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for quick reply,

What i meant about sorting it before activation was removing the unneeded wires in the master socket, but that link provids all the information i need. and im quite happy with 8-10mb as most places say ill recieve 4.

if i do have any more problems though i wont hesitate to ask

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The advice given in the link is all very well, but experience shows that even plugging into a hardwired extension can cause problems. ADSL will always work better when plugged into the Master socket, preferably using an ADSL faceplate. If you are only talking of 1 floor distance then an longer RJ11 cable between the router and the Master socket, provided you can get it through the floor/ceiling, is likely to be more efficient. Wait until you are connected to see how your connection performs using the phone extension before you do anything. Removing the ring wire from terminal 3 on the Master and extension is probably the single best way to improve your wiring at no cost.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again i was thinking that but i have 2 computers on the ground floor so wouldnt really want to run 2 ethernet cables in future i may go wireless for all 4 computers but at the moment my network is run via cable and has reliable uptime. where with wireless i notice alot more disconnects but that could just be due to virgin and my crap netgear router.

but as you guys said you cant really help me till its actually working, so ill follow the guide the first link sent me too and see how i get on once its enabled and working.

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can't see your logic really. You talk about having to run an extention from the master socket in the front room on the middle floor to connect the router to the two PC's downstairs, so why not simply run cat5 for each computer and keep the router next to the master socket. - you still have the same hastle running cable regardless of it being a phone extension or network.

I've 4 PC's and a network printer all hooked up via Cat5, with the router next to the master socket in the lounge - with a bit of white trunking here and there the installation is hardly noticable.
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

RJ11 is not ethernet. It connects the router to the phone socket via a filter. You would not need to run 2 cables, only one. If you are contemplating using wireless I would advise positioning the router as near the centre of your house as possible, in which case it would be better leaving the router on the middle floor. If you wished, you could then run an ethernet cable downstairs to a 4 port switch. You might also like to consider Homeplug it is faster and more dependable than wireless. These have become very popular with forum members who have become disillusioned with wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.