Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Losing Connection

This is a discussion on Losing Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everybody, I have been with Sky Broaodband for a couple of weeks now and all seems ok, I am ...

billduncan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Post Losing Connection

Hello everybody,
      I have been with Sky Broaodband for a couple of weeks now and all seems ok, I am able to do everything I used to with F2S, however I do have one problem.
      I tend to leave the router on at all times but if I leave the computer off overnight I lose my connection, nothing is locked up I can access the router ok. If I reboot the router it seems to make things right, some times I have to renew my ip, I have tried what I know (very little) and just recently reserved the ip addresses I use wihin the range I have set (6 in total). This never happens during the day when the computers are randomly switched off or hibernated, only if left overnight say 21:00-07:00, does any body have any idea how I can fix this

Thanks Bill

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You could try forcing a reboot by doing it yourself at about 9.30 pm when your connection is at its worse. This should lower the sync and stabalise your connection.

As far as reboots go - don't forget isps are often tweeking stuff at the exchange which may force your router to reboot anyway

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't understand why it should be at its' worst at 9:30pm?
      why should a reboot help me when nothing is locked up, and ip's are being allocated correctly, and why only overnight does the problem occur, I've never had this problem before and don't understand when everything is working why I can't access the internet at these times without messing around with the router.

Thanks, Bill
      Last edited by Wheelie; 21-09-06 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Noise Margin plummets in the evening

No Sky BB in the Evening

Ideally your router would resync itself to cope with a falling noise margin. It doesn't.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 21-09-06 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User Name this helps us to keep the forum tidy and posts more compact. Thanks

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Because at about 9:30 everybody's snr is at its worse. if it drops too low your connection has to do lots of retransmits to get good data - this effectively slows your connection. Becuase the snr is directly related to your sysn speed you can improve it by lowering your sync speed - a reboot will do this and your snr will go up giving you a more stable connection.

For example someone syncing at 10 MB with a 50% loss will only be downloading at 5 MB. A resync may lower your sync speed to 8 MB and only give you a 10% loss - thus your effective downloading speed actually is 7.2 MB - so you get the situation where your sync speed has dropped but your real download speed has increased and you have a more stable connection

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all that, will try it later this evening and see what happens, nothing ventured etc, will report tomorrow the findinds

Bill

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

took this quickly to show my current status, does it look ok

System Up Time 05:20:15
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 13615 18303 0 117 1000 05:18:55
      LAN 10M/100M 20280 15185 0 1049 146 05:20:13
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8190 kbps 396 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.5 db 22.7 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 24.0 db

thanks, Bill

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Bill

The stats look good though maybe the speed could be a wee bit higher

I ask most people this do you have filters on all your phone points in use?
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      I think your noise margin could be causing it. Do you get a better noise margin when plugged directly into the Master socket. I have found that my extension line reduces the margin down quite a lot. Have just brought a ADSL faceplate as other people have suggsted and hope that will allow me to get a faster and stable connection.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

On the speed side I have only opted for the Mid package, 8mb so I thought it was quite good, I am plugged into an extension and not all my phone points have filters although I have put a filter at the master socket and all extension come off that and then a filter between the router and its extension socket isn't that the same.

Thanks, Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast