Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky is the limit

This is a discussion on Sky is the limit within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After receiving speeds of over 2mb since joining Sky broadband approx 2 months ago I now find myself experiencing major ...

godofyouall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky is the limit

After receiving speeds of over 2mb since joining Sky broadband approx 2 months ago I now find myself experiencing major problems. Within the last week I have had intermittent problems with loss of connection, then 2 days ago the Internet connection was lost all together. I tried everything before contacting sky, reinstalling software, system restore, checked filters, reset router & checked master telephone socket/connections etc but nothing helped.

After trying for hours to resolve myself to no avail I finally contacted the sky broadband helpdesk. They told me that I was too far away from the exchange and would be lucky if I was able to get 1mb. I tried to explain that I had been getting speed of over 2mb for approx 2 months and this problem had only occurred recently but the person from the helpdesk was having none of it. Basically he said that although with sky max you can get up to 16mb if your line can't handle this speed (if you are a greater distance away from the exchange) then it will cause connection issues. He stated that a line test is conducted when you join sky and your Internet connection is restricted based on what speed your line can handle. So if your line can only handle a 2mb connection then they restrict it down to 2mb. Currently they have restricted my access to 256kbps (lol) but I am still having intermittent problems with my connection.

My router is plugged direct into the master telephone socket with no extensions, I have plugged into the test socket and it has made no difference. I also do not use my socket for any other purposes apart from for my broadband connection (I don't have a telephone or any other telephone equipment connected).

How can I have been receiving over 2mb for months and then within the space of a week not be able to connect at 256kbps. This does not make sense to me, what do you guys think?
      Last edited by godofyouall; 17-06-08 at 08:30 PM.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky is the limit

Have a read of the multitude of threads revealed when searching for DLM

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

could you post your router stats from the set up you have now, then another set form the test socket behind the face plate.

we can then go from there, and see what your next move would be

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Plugging into the test socket makes no difference the stats are the same.

I have tried searching for DLM in the forum posts but can find nothing. I understand about Dynamic Line management but I though that was to improve the status of the line not make it worse.

Last edited by godofyouall; 17-06-08 at 09:04 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you are searching for a three letter word it is better if you use an * otherwise you may not get any results. ie DLM*

Apart from that something is definitely wrong, and I would imagine looking at those stats it is DLM.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-n...000-lines.html

You maybe better adding this to that thread or having a read of it.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think it is pathetic checking the availabilty on Sam Knows I should be getting at least 1Mbps. How can something that is supposed to help your connection just kill your connection altogether like it has with me?

The guy I was speaking to from sky helpdesk actually started telling me about how much better BT's lines and equipment was. At one point I even said "so basically you are telling me I made the wrong decision
      moving to sky and should have gone with BT" and he actually said in his opinion I should have gone with BT. LOL what a vote of confidence.

Thanks

The good thing to report about DLM is that it should improve your line, unfortunately it can take around 20 days to get to this stage and any manual intervention from yourself ie rebooting the router can hinder this. I think you will find most peoples beef is the way sky have just implemented this willy nilly without informing anybody and the random way they seem to have picked the guinea pigs. This seems to have installed dread into the majority of people who have a decent line they are happy with and dont want it messing with. Hopefully things will get back to normal for you but if they dont then you will have to get on to sky and get them to reset things to how they were before sky. As to the comments re BT equipment I would take that with a pinch of salt, Sky have invested heavily in their LLU products and I'm sure they wont have bought rubbish.
      PS - When things are sorted I would reconsider whether max is the right package for you, if you dont need the upload speed and the unlimited downloads then mid would save you a fiver.
      Last edited by dholdi; 17-06-08 at 09:50 PM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah some warning would have been nice! Spending over 10.00 on calls to the helpdesk and I can no longer work from home on this speed with the constant disconnections which is really very inconvenient for me. Sky telling me that I should have gone with BT was just the icing on the cake.

I do need the greater upload speed and the unlimited downloads so moving from max is not an option.
      Last edited by godofyouall; 17-06-08 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks

Np mate, keep it to yourself about working from home when speaking to sky, business use is against the t&c's so they could in theory terminate your account.
      Get on to them re the money youve spent on calls, they seem to be quite generous with credits to accounts to compensate.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can you post a link to the section that states business use is against the t&c's. I do not actually run my own business or anything from home but I do use my home internet connection to connect to my employers server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast