Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky capping service to stabilise connection.

This is a discussion on Sky capping service to stabilise connection. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can someone in the knowledge confirm Sky's actions. I finally got connected to Sky last week and immediately experienced problems. ...

TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky capping service to stabilise connection.

Can someone in the knowledge confirm Sky's actions. I finally got connected to Sky last week and immediately experienced problems. After a period fo time on line, the service got slower and slower until it ceased, although my router indicators showed that I was connected I could not access any web pages. At the same time I tried to log into the router with no joy, the only way I could correct this was to reboot the router, the fault then returned again later but at no set time interval.
      After making a call to Sky I was called by technical, who explained to me that with the max service I was accumulating too many errors to a point where the router locked up, the engineer said that this was due to the high 16 mb service and that problems with my line were giving the errors, in an attempt to stabilise my connection he capped my service at 7mb, this appears to have done the trick. Funny thing though as I could only ever sync at 7mb according to the router, only once did it sync at 10mb.

Can someone explain the reason for this as I feel cheated somewhat that to sign up for the max service and pay for a service I cannot receive, and then get capped.

What can I do to resolve the issue, line problem?

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The engineer was probably right - you may have been getting too many lost packets due to errors which effectively slowed your connection. What he has done is trade stability for sync speed. 7MB is pretty good - what did you have before?

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Please read this post With Reference to Capping when you are connected

As for what you are paying for its actually up to 16MB and there are a lot of people who will never get anything near that.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

harlowrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by TELEMETRY View Post
      Can someone in the knowledge confirm Sky's actions. I finally got connected to Sky last week and immediately experienced problems. After a period fo time on line, the service got slower and slower until it ceased, although my router indicators showed that I was connected I could not access any web pages. At the same time I tried to log into the router with no joy, the only way I could correct this was to reboot the router, the fault then returned again later but at no set time interval.
      After making a call to Sky I was called by technical, who explained to me that with the max service I was accumulating too many errors to a point where the router locked up, the engineer said that this was due to the high 16 mb service and that problems with my line were giving the errors, in an attempt to stabilise my connection he capped my service at 7mb, this appears to have done the trick. Funny thing though as I could only ever sync at 7mb according to the router, only once did it sync at 10mb.

Can someone explain the reason for this as I feel cheated somewhat that to sign up for the max service and pay for a service I cannot receive, and then get capped.

What can I do to resolve the issue, line problem?
      Capped at 7mb! Be eternally gratefull, I had exactly the same problems as you, got through to technical 'services' and they've capped me at 1mb, yes thats not an error ONE mb.
      They seem to be very quick to cap peoples line.
      From what I have read on here is the connection not supposed to set itself a stable speed over the first 10 days of activation or am I misunderstanding this.
      Would be grateful if someone could explain this please.

currenc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have 16 MB and I am artificially capped (at my request) to 5.4 which works - I can't fault Sky Tier 3 they do know their stuff and my rationale was that I used to pay BT 29.99 a month for a 2 MB connection so who cares if I am capped above that.

I have just fallen out of love with sky for other reasons

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just to clear this one up as there seems to be a misconception about the Max package you don't have 16MB but you can get upto 16MB so in reality your speed could be anything within that range.

I am guessing if you have had your connection capped then you are some distance from the exchange and you line was being unstable which is a good idea.

Sorry you are falling out of love with SkyBB for other reasons and I hope you manage to sort them out to your satisfaction.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Sky capping services

Ding dong

My old service was Pipex at 1mb for 24.00, so I am more than happy with my 7mb connection, I just wanted to verify Sky's reasoning and actions to stabilise my connection. What I would say is that after they telephoned me at 22:00 to discuss the problem, capped my service, I still had a freeze up about 1 hour later. I then read the comments on this forum regarding turning off UPNP in the router and since then the service has ben perfect. So I wonder now, was the UPNP causing the problem in the first place?????
      I am more than happy with my 7mb for 10 and will leave well alone for the time being, see how things progress with their service over the coming 12 months and go from there.

Many thanks to all that replied to my topic and offered some confirming advice.

For information since capping my attenuation is 43.0db and my snr is 15.0 and stable, I am 1.6km as the crow flys from the exchange, as said elsewhere the lifting of the snr has stabilised my connection but at the sacrifce of speed, well you can't have everything can you, here's to the future.
      Last edited by TELEMETRY; 21-09-06 at 01:34 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well thats great news and pleased to see you are now a happy member
      Ray

click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Happy member

Always have been happy, just had a few initial niggles with Sky, delayed service etc. I see that other members are still suffering the same, perhaps we all jumped too soon to Sky's service, the cost differential blinded us all.

Keep up the good work.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well when you consider that SkyBB is brand new and they have a huge learning curve to go through I am surprised at how good they are handling things its just a shame that BT cant do the right thing by them and get the orders done when they should be.
      Ray

click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast