Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not sure what else can be done!!!

This is a discussion on Not sure what else can be done!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hey to guys above do not try and put any of this on it being wireless or to do with ...

scothebest is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: MID
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Not sure what else can be done!!!

hey to guys above do not try and put any of this on it being wireless or to do with the speed test used, however this is a recent problem i have just started to get, there are also increasing post so this is a wide problem and sky MUST know about it.

i am getting 340kbps was getting 2000kbps for last 5 months and now sudden change.
      Last edited by scothebest; 18-06-08 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling :{

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@scothebest
      According to your profile you are on Mid, the OP's problem is completely different. He is on Connect and has a problem with the line profile. Only BT can fix this. Your problem is likely to be connected with DLM. Use DLM* as the parameter and search the forum for further information.

EDIT - Why post this 3 mins later "i have 53 db noise margin and it runs fine "

@Virgin
      For some reason your line profile has dropped very low and this is the cause of your slow download speed. I think your line may have to be retrained, which may involve about 10 days of inconsistent performance. THIS may give you an idea of what has happened and what is likely to happen.
      Last edited by Isitme; 18-06-08 at 03:12 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

were you made aware that moving to the test socket will take 3 days for profile to adjust to normal speeds?

ANY change made to setup needs to be left for 3 days so the BT BRAS profile can adjust to take into account the new line conditions...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

virgin747 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tuxford
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello All. Firstly let me "Thank You" for being so helpfull so far.

IAmNotTheEnemy :I was not made aware that the move to the test socket would need some time to adjust, will just leave well enough alone, noubt more i can do.

Isitme : Sky did mention something about retraining the line, nothing about how long it may take or problems i may expect from it.

I am still waiting for the phone call to let me know what they have found out and what needs doing although i think i know that answer?

I never got round to Test 2 on the BT test thingy... i couldn't get it to work but i suppose i have enough proof with Test 1, tells me there is some kinda problem.

Incidently, have just done a speedtest and got this result "Download 3088Kbps". That was using the tester found under tools. Still not as it should be.

Thanks again and will update as applicable.

Regards
      Pete

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      @scothebest
      According to your profile you are on Mid, the OP's problem is completely different. He is on Connect and has a problem with the line profile. Only BT can fix this. Your problem is likely to be connected with DLM. Use DLM* as the parameter and search the forum for further information.

EDIT - Why post this 3 mins later "i have 53 db noise margin and it runs fine "

@Virgin
      For some reason your line profile has dropped very low and this is the cause of your slow download speed. I think your line may have to be retrained, which may involve about 10 days of inconsistent performance. THIS may give you an idea of what has happened and what is likely to happen.
      AFAIK DLM is only being rolled out to Sky LLU customers.

Thanks

AFAIK DLM is only being rolled out to Sky LLU customers.
      ..........and your point is?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

virgin747 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tuxford
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello All. Just an update. Sky called out a BT engineer and he rigged his laptop and equipment up to the master socket and got 7.5 meg..just what the line says and what i was getting before. We then sitched back to my router and got anything between 300 and 2.5 meg. Then switched bck to his and again he showed me the received speed. I then phoned sky and after speaking to tier 1 and almost losing my rag.. a support member telling me it's my computer or firewall!!!!!. I then again got passed to tier 4 who are continuing to investigate. They are now sending out a new router as they feel that may be the cause. I'm not so sure. The BT engineer says that there is nothing wrong with the line and the noise ratio is very good. I'm only 0.31 miles from the exchange, so he does think it's sky who are at fault..

The mystery continues!!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

there is no such thing as tier 4, or 2 or 3 for that matter!!!

it could very well be this whole AR7 chipset issue - dont suppose you saw what modem the BT guy was using? chances are it was a speedtouch one which uses a broadcom chipset IIRC...

there was a good article in PC Pro a few months back about it...

another thing i notice though, is that when you used the BT speedtester site although it said you were connected at over 7Mbps your IP profile was on 350kbps...which is why it's going so slow!!

I still think it's something your end, but not your PC...unless you had the same slow speed using the BT guys modem
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

he rigged his laptop and equipment up to the master socket and got 7.5 meg.
      That is what your connection speed was shown as on the BT Test. Although he was connecting at this speed he would not get a throughput anything like this. The fact that your profile is/was set at 350kbps means that you could not get any more than that. If he had done a BT Test his results would have been almost the same. I am surprised that he did not do this as should then have realised what the problem was.The profile is set at the exchange and has little to do with your PC, only the connection between your router and the exchange, unless this is fixed there will be no improvement.

PS - I have just returned from holiday and realize that your problem may be fixed, if it is not, I am sure you will let us know.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12