Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need some Help ! high pitch noise on Line !

This is a discussion on Need some Help ! high pitch noise on Line ! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok guys Heres the problem Had a problem last week after they changed me over to ADSL2 I went back ...

mrluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Need some Help ! high pitch noise on Line !

ok guys Heres the problem

Had a problem last week after they changed me over to ADSL2

I went back to adsl1 and it seemed ok

But i wanted to find out why i could only now get 6mbit as my fastest connection

I took everything out and plugged the adsl straight to my master socket and the phone line now makes a extreme high pitch sound .

any one got any ideas what it could be ? ive tried different phones as well at different points

Since connecting to my master socket my noise margin has jumped from 6.9 to 9.3 so im unsure what it could be. !

2. Advertisement
      mrluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Need some Help ! high pitch noise on Line !

ok atm i have ...

my phone connected to a phone point down stairs through a adsl filter

and upstairs i have it connected to the main box via a adsl filter

My noise margin has gone to 9.9 now ive done this , but the echo is still there.

Once i dissconect my router the echo basically dissapears ?

any help please

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

First off, have you tried a new filter? The increase in SNR may indicate that you have been capped. You say you had a problem on ADSL2+ was it instabilty (connection dropping)?
      I think you may have a wiring problem. Have you tried a noise test from the test socket. You plug a normal phone into the test socket and dial a digit to get rid of the dial tone. there should be nothing but a low hiss on the line.
      While you have the test socket exposed, make sure any extensions are dead.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think you are suffering from the DLM virus

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes you could well be right Isitme, but I am kinda worried about this noise/echo thing

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is that noise high pitched, then followed by ringing by any chance?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am inclined to agree Brian, but the OP's Previous Thread did indicate that he was on DLM. I am puzzled where he says he was on ADSL2, the stats say ADSL2+ also how he went back to ADSL1? I hope he did not use the router utility to do this or his line may never stabilize. This is the problem with rolling out DLM, when it encounters a line with a fault, it is going to stabilize it for the fault, which will reduce the speed considerabley. His attenuation should give him 9mb easily. But the noise on the line is another matter, if it is only there with the router connected it suggests a faulty router.

I am afraid Sky have only made problems for themselves and their users by not giving out proper instructions about keeping the router connected at all times and not trying any tweaks or rebooting while the process was ongoing.

EDIT - I wonder if it is the modem sound? Try dialling a dial up modem number and see if you get something similar. You could try 08451400101 if you don't have a dial up account. This will give you an idea what a modem sounds like.
      Last edited by Isitme; 17-06-08 at 10:26 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Darzo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIGGY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

a simple way to solve this would be to first turn your router off and check if you can still hear the same noise. if you do change your microfilters and then check again with the line. again if u hear that noise give BT a call because theres something rong with the line. bt remember to tell BT that u contacted sky and they advised u to disconnect your broadband equipment and you could still hear that noise.i work in sky broadband so i no BT will send u back to sky bt then again repeat that unlined line to them and then they will have to help you,

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darzo View Post
      a simple way to solve this would be to first turn your router off and check if you can still hear the same noise. if you do change your microfilters and then check again with the line. again if u hear that noise give BT a call because theres something rong with the line. bt remember to tell BT that u contacted sky and they advised u to disconnect your broadband equipment and you could still hear that noise.i work in sky broadband so i no BT will send u back to sky bt then again repeat that unlined line to them and then they will have to help you,
      The best thing to do is not to say anything about broadband in the 1st place.