Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB Installation errors

This is a discussion on Sky BB Installation errors within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new to the forum. I don't use sky myself. I am trying to find out some information for ...

GHOSTINTHEMACHINE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky BB Installation errors

Hi,
      I'm new to the forum. I don't use sky myself. I am trying to find out some information for a customer who is a sky customer a very disgruntled one at that.

I hope I have posted this in the right thread.

The problem he is having is ever since installing Sky on his laptop his machine now runs in an internal loop on start up. Windows will not start in any shape or form. As I have this machine in for repair now, he borrowed another computer from a relative of his and on using the same installation CD the same thing has happened to that machine. The common denominator is the installation CD that was sent by Sky the same disc was used on both machines the second computer is a matter of only a couple of weeks old.

My question is have any other forum members experienced this problem when installing Sky from the disc, s he is onsidering submitting a claim to sky for the repair of both computers and needs as much evidence as he can get.

Any help will be gladly received.

2. Advertisement
      googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB Installation errors

How would the disk do this? There are loads of people out there who have used the disk with no problems what so ever.

There maybe other common factors not just the CD.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

The installation disc is only needed if you want to install mccafee otherwise it serves no other purpose. Unless of course you want to use it as a beer mat! May be that mccafee is slowing the computers down. Try uninstalling it and starting again which should involve just plugging in and playing

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is no way the disk in its self could cause this, but it is possible if he installed MacAfee on top of other security products. This should never be done, no matter what AV/Firewall you are using.

If the PC/Laptop are new I guess they will have Vista installed. If so boot from the Vista DVD and go through to the Repair Options. Use the Startup Repair to fix the problem, or get a report on why it cannot be fixed.

In both Vista and XP, press F8 while booting to bring up the Boot options screen. Choose the option which bypasses 'Automatically restart on errors' This should bring you to a blue screen which will give you the reason for the error. If you are not able to recognise what is stopping it, take a note of the full error including codes and Google it or post it back here.

If you are able to start in Safe Mode, go to the System Properties, Advanced tab, Start up settings button. Remove the tick next to Automatically restart on errors. Then download and use the MacAfee removal tool to clean it from the system.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTINTHEMACHINE View Post

My question is have any other forum members experienced this problem when installing Sky from the disc, s he is onsidering submitting a claim to sky for the repair of both computers and needs as much evidence as he can get.

Any help will be gladly received.
      Like the others, I doubt that the sky disk was the sole cause. However if she claims it affected two machines then you need to test her claim. By the sounds of it you are in the PC repair industry so should have access to a "test" PC. Ghost the machine so you are able to restore it quickly afterwards (norton ghost or, depending on machine use the backup feature - HP and Dell have this option).

Confirm that the test PC boots OK, and insert the CD. install McCrappy (sorry McAfee) and then re-boot the PC - if it fails and exhibits the same as her laptop then you have a case. If it boots then its back to square one and her case is blown out of the water.

To fix her laptop, if you can't get into windows, even in safe mode then you may need to run from a CD and see if you can get in to un-install McAffee.
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk