Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Slow speeds since connecting to sky.

This is a discussion on Slow speeds since connecting to sky. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right, here's my problem. My Sky Mid connection was activated on the 11th June. Although I am in the training ...

lily1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow speeds since connecting to sky.

Right, here's my problem. My Sky Mid connection was activated on the 11th June. Although I am in the training period I got worried. Right away I noticed that my line attentuation had increased from 32db (with Clara) to 49db. My noise margin has also dropped.

Current line stats:
      Connection speed 2976kbps
      Line Attenuation 49db
      Noise Margin 7.5db

Stats from back in January (the last time I had kept a record) with Clara:
      Connection speed 6560kbps
      Line Attentuation 33db
      Noise Margin 12db

My black Sagem router is plugged into the test socket of a lovely newish openreach master socket which is in my living room at the front of the property. I have tried a range of filters (the sky ones were terrible) and am currently using one from ADSL Nation. I have unplugged the phone (corded and a cordless one) which makes no change. Nothing else it attached to the line. My router is very close to the master socket. Previously I have used a Netgear and a Buffalo router with Clara.

I am about 1.19 kilometres from the exhange as the crow flies, but it would appear my line circles the town a few times.

Problem 2. Another new problem since Sky, when I use either a corded or cordless phone my connection dies, then starts again, at a lower line attentuation and faster connection speed. BT report no faults on my line, but I gather they might not pick up on this particular issue.

I have spent some time talking to Sky technical support who have so far advised me to change channel setting for the wireless, and change the filter. Every time I ask about the line attentuation they ignore me. One lady did agree that my connection speed was low, but subsequent advisers have said it is acceptable. Every time I talk to these people a little bit of me dies inside...

I am off to look at more detailed router stats, in the meantime any advice, moral support or offers of alcoholic beverages would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Slow speeds since connecting to sky.

Hello there and welcome to the forums,

Your line stats may indicate problems at the exchange, because you are connected to new equipment your line ATT will increase but you should still be syncing at least at 4Meg.

Unfortunately detailed stats are not available from the newer Netgear/Sagem routers.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info and the welcome Monday!
      How should I proceed with this. BT are not interested, and so far I have yet to speak to anyone at Sky that understands line attenuation.

I assume it is Sky I should continue to hassle, although I have given up on the phone as this increases my connection speed - and therefore they don't see a problem. I have been emailing them with my router stats as above...they replied giving me instructions on how to log onto my router....sob!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Moved to Broadband help for more chance of replies.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The only other case I can remember with such a high rise in attenuation was down to faults at the exchange. Tie pairs I think it was. I can only suggest that you use the KANA Form and copy your stats on to it. Tell them that you are not at all happy with the large rise in your attenuation, which is costing you a large amount of speed and ask them to look into the health of your line and it's exchange connections. The fact that you received a much higher speed with Clara, which would be BT's ADSLMax, should convince them that something is definitely wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

have you tried your test socket with a filter? possibly a dodgy faceplate (if you have one, doesn't actually say so i'm assuming)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh yes, I thought I was clear about that (sorry!) my router is plugged into the test socket of the openreach master socket, and scattered around the floor is every filter I own - tried the lot! The ADSL Nation one appears to be the best. The openreach faceplate makes no differance though, I just can't be bothered screwing it back in until all this is resolved . There is nothing else plugged in, not even a phone! Thank god for mobiles!

Thanks all for your help!

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It seems like a fault at the exchange TBH, BTW i think you can plug in your phone :P

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wink Re: Slow speeds since connecting to sky.

Indeed, if I can stay on the phone all the time I get a lovely fast connection...

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have had a further reply from Sky:

"Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.
      I have spoken with our customer solutions team who have made some adjustments to your connection. They are confident that you line can support speeds closer to 8 Mbps. However as far as they can see your connection is configured correctly. I appreciate you have troubleshot this matter fully with technical support, to the point of connecting to the test socket and I would be grateful if you could try one last test. Please try connecting your router to the test socket with an alternate microfilter and then making a call from your landline to see if the attenuation still drops. If it does as I expect it will please advise by reply and we will then organise a replacement router for you as it is becoming apparent that there is nothing else that could be causing this issue."

I have to say that I am amazed they think my line could support that high a speed, but they have put it in writing! I am going to reply suggesting that they check the exchange - though a spare router is never a bad thing!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast