Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG934G router doesnt work with network printer - Help!

This is a discussion on DG934G router doesnt work with network printer - Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi My old white netgear router recently died so sky sent me (arrived next day - nice one sky) one ...

frungle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moortown - Leeds
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

DG934G router doesnt work with network printer - Help!

Hi

My old white netgear router recently died so sky sent me (arrived next day - nice one sky) one of the new black netgear DG934G routers.
      My Okipage 14in network laser used to work fine with the old white router. I just plugged it in, no need to make any changes to the settings in the router, and it worked both accross the wired network and the wireless network.

However, since I plugged in the new black router the printer doesnt work. When I go to print a doccument it just sits in the windows tray waiting for the printer to appear. I have had a fiddle in the routers firewall etc but I just cant figure it out (Im no network expert). If I plug the old white router back in it works fine.
      FYI the printer is connected to the router by cable as is my main PC.

Hope somebody can heklp me

Many thanks

David

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: DG934G router doesnt work with network printer - Help!

Can you tell us how the printer gets its IP address? My guess is that the printer is set to pick up an IP address from a DHCP server which is a service built into the old router (and indeed the new one) to allocate network addresses to pieces of network equipment such as your printer.

If the old router allocates the printer (say) 192.168.0.10 and you have set the printer driver on your computer to print to a printer located at 192.168.0.10 then all is well. If the new router allocates 192.168.0.2 to the printer, your computer won't know and will still be looking for the printer at 192.168.0.10

I would suggest you should find out the address used by the printer when attached to the old router (usually you can print a status page with this info on it). It will also tell you the MAC address of the printer. Then connect up the new router and use the the LAN setup page in the Router to reserve this IP address for the device which reports the MAC address you obtained in the first step.

Alternatively you can set the printer not to use DHCP but instead to use a static IP address which you can set to be the same one as before. This way it won't change but you run the risk of the router's DHCP server allocating the address to another piece of equiment which can't happen if the address is reserved as in the first suggestion. If you do get two pieces of equipment with the same IP address on the same LAN then odd things start to happen.
      Last edited by Ratcliffes; 13-06-08 at 04:57 PM.

frungle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Moortown - Leeds
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

The printer has the following settings . . . . . . a fixed IP address, DHCP off, RARP off.

I just cant figure it out!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try turning off the fixed address and turning on DHCP. Leave RARP off as it is obsolete.

If that does not work, turn fixed address back on and give it the address 192.168.0.254. Turn off DHCP. Then go to the router LAN settings and under Use Router as a DHCP Server, against Ending IP address, change the 254 to 253. Click apply.

Reboot everything.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Haden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01942
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

12 months on, was there a sollution to this problem? My SKY / Netgear 934 asigns an IP address to the printer, but it simply does not print!

Thanks

12 months on, was there a sollution to this problem?
      Who knows, that is the problem when a poster does not come back with the results.

If your printer is being seen by the router it is probably different from the above anyway. One thing that can cause this is the Spooler service not starting. To check this open the Run box and type services.msc and hit enter. When the Services pane opens, scroll down to the entry for the Print Spooler, double click it and change the setting to Automatic and click Start if it is not running.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Haden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01942
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you for that.

Spooler is set to 'automatic' and is running.

Plug in old router everything works fine, but no internet of course! Tried two different routers EVERYTHING except internet works!

I need to suss out how to set the 934 to act "just" as a modem (like my old virgin cable modem) and feed that in to netgear 534 which works fine!

SKY should offer a simple "modem only" option.

I presume the "older" SKY / Negear 834 logs in the same way as the newer 934. Wondering if it has the same "issues", or even the Sagem router... am wondering about just buying one off eBay and seeing if it gets around the incompatibilty between the 934 and my expensive printer!

KIndest regards, Haden

Thanks

Please refer to your own thread. Two threads on the same subject confuses members.

Netgear 934 problems with network printer

TomD

Useful Utilites