Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router / Line Restarts

This is a discussion on Router / Line Restarts within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Have been on sky broadband for 2 months with a Black Sagem SKY Router, Firmware, 1.5Sky Initially no problem, ...

dootech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Router / Line Restarts

Hi

Have been on sky broadband for 2 months with a Black Sagem SKY Router, Firmware, 1.5Sky

Initially no problem, but now 4/5 times per day the line / router drops out and restarts.

during such a restart the light furtherst to the right (next to wireless light) goes from green to orange. I assume this is the connection dropping and then reconnecting

The router is not in the master socket and is not using any fancy filters.

Do i call sky or will i be told to put in master socket and try another filter ???

Any similair experiences ??

I had similar fault whilst on talktalk even when in master socket so maybe i have a dodgy line ???

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router / Line Restarts

Save the cost of the phone call to Sky and try this.
      (1) Connect the router to the test socket of the master phone socket (if you have a test socket, it will be under the face plate of the master) and see if your connection is more stable.
      (2) while at the test socket, check that all other phone sockets you may have are dead (no dial tone)

dootech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't have the test socket on my master socket

The extension i have from the master socket was installed by the sky engineer so is brand new...

any other suggestions gladly received...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Then connect router to the master socket with the extension to the sky box removed. Am I right, do you only have one fixed socket?

Darzo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIGGY
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok the only extension cable that sky engineers install 4 u is the extension cable for your sky tv service. so remove it and try this. plug your microfilter in to your master socket. also plug your phone cable in one side and your router cable into the ADSL side of your microfilter.

remember if you have an extension cable 9/10 times the connection will fall.

so far it sounds like your having an intermittent connection.
      in this case after removing the extension cable and pluging in to your master socket and your still experincing the same problem you shold ring broadband.

i myself work in sky broadband and what we need to do is go through your pshical setup with you be4 transfering you to your CST departmet were they do tests on your line and 9/10 will resolve the the issue 4 u after a few tests on your line.

can u tell me is it the router that resets itself or is it your internet connection that cuts of on u??

and roughly how long does your internet stay orange be4 turning green??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The extension supplied by Sky TV fitters is a piece of rubbish. No broadband connection will perform efficiently using one. If you are forced to use an extension, get a good quality twisted core cable.

Preferably, plug your router into the master socket and use a longer RJ11 cable, or plug the router directly into the master with an RJ45 cable to your PC. Remember that all devices, including the Sky digibox, must pass through a filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.