Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Worst Service Ever So Far!

This is a discussion on Worst Service Ever So Far! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just wanted to share my experience with Sky BB so far to see if anyone had a similar experience ...

barryfrom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Worst Service Ever So Far!

I just wanted to share my experience with Sky BB so far to see if anyone had a similar experience and possibly a solution.

I've had Sky BB for about 3 weeks, and from the start it's been frequently dropping connection for about 30+ minutes every single day. I read up on the service on the internet and realised that quite a few people had similar problems and in general the service was renound as being pretty poor (from reviewcentre.com).

Anyway, luckily I seemed to usually avoid most of the drop outs as I'd just finished doing what I was doing but it got worse and worse to the point where the laptop and Xbox could no longer even find the modem on the list of connections. So I phoned up tech support who had me run through various different processes until he could do no more and had to excalate the problem to the next department. He told me to hold and the line went quiet. After about 15 minutes of 'holding' I put the phone down and rang up again. They then tell me that I need a new modem sending out as it must not be sending out a signal. This is apparently going to take 2-3 days at the worst time of the month for me as I need it for work. I then ask them to put me through to customer services to get the money back on the tech support calls I've had to make (not fair having to pay to get the service your already paying for working.) However low and behold I'm then cut off again. So I have to ring back only to be told that in order to get any money back I have to write to them.

Anyway to top it all off I then find out that I can't use my own modem to connect to the service or I validate some sort of terms and conditions. Not only do I have no internet at the moment, but I've also got to wait for them to send me another cheap crap modem when I have a perfectly good one sitting on the side.

I honestly thought BT were bad but these guys take the ****.

To anyone who's done it, is it worth configuring my own modem for the service and invalidating the warranty (or whatever it is), or alternatively has anyone who's had similar problems got any advice?

Cheers guys!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Worst Service Ever So Far!

it's in the contract (which i assume you neglected to read) that you have to use the router provided by Sky - using your own breaks the terms and can lead to service termination if found out...

as for needing for work, tough - Sky BB is a consumer service and relience on it for work will get you no sympathy...you want service which is always up - pay for it!!

and yes, as for getting money back for calls, it has be submitted in writing, eg a copy of your phone bill
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand that it's a consumer service and so don't expect any compensation for loss of income or anything as it's not a business service.

However, to suggest that if I want a service that is constantly working I should have pay for a more expensive service is just ridiculous. I think that part of the reason these companies get away with offering shoddy service is that people just don't bother complaining any more, they just accept that multi-million pound companies will send out poor quality products and employ a poor quality customer service with it.

I have paid for a broadband service with Sky, which doesn't work properly (and doesn't for many, many more people reading the complaints online). Regardless of how much I'm paying them, they are offering it to their customers and taking their money. If I went into a TV store and chose a cheaper LG over a Sony I wouldn't be happy to accept the fact that the LG completely cut out whenever it liked.

With regards to the modem, if I'm not supposed to use my own then I won't. I just don't uderstand the reasoning behind not being able to. Surely it would save them a lot of money having to send out replacements if people just used their own, much superior models.

Just a final thing, if I'm with Sky Talk will I still have to sen them my bill? Surely not, as they'll be able to see it for themselves..

Thanks in advance
      Last edited by barryfrom; 12-06-08 at 02:49 PM. Reason: wrong

Thanks

there are a LOT of old threads about using your own router - and many do - but its down to training. Sky offer support for only Sky supported products so if your line packed in you'd be stuck as you wouldn't have a Sky router so would just be told 'tough!!'...harsh but makes the tech support's job easier.

Have you thought that it might be something your end causing the issues? seeing as you've only posted twice we can't comment on things. how are you set up? are you using extentions? wireless? stats?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's certainly nothing to do with my laptop as neither that nor my Xbox will find the router. Also, the first ever problems with it were that it would frequently drop out and pick up a local only signal. I tried reomving the splitter and plugging it directly into the socket as well as using a spare splitter but nothing. Now 90% of the time it can't even find the router (despite finding everyone else's in the building) and on the odd occasion when it can find it, it just can't connect.

Checked all the router settings, lights are on etc. etc. but no connection. Although the router says it's connected to the internet (i.e the light's on) even when I plug the ethernet cable in from the laptop to the router I still get nothing.

Thanks

stats? if the router has all the lights on and they're green then the issue is between router and device...

example of 'perfect' setup: -

NTE5 master socket fitted with ADSLNation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate>short dsl cable to router>ethernet to all devices

however, substitute ethernet for wireless or powerline adapters if required...

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do I get the stats up? I'd have to do it at home and post it tomorrow from work as obviously I have no net access.

Not sure about the set up to be honest, just used the equipment they sent me. When they installed the box however, they plugged the phone into a splitter. I think there are two splitters on there as there are 3 things plugged into it (Sky Box, Broadband and Telephone) yet on the splitter the telephone is plugged into the socket which says ADSL or Modem and the broadband is in the one which says phone. Strangely, the phone doesn't fit into the part which actually says "phone" on it. However, this is how I had it set up with Tiscali and everything worked fine, plus I've tried unplugging everything else and having the modem as the only thing going into the socket.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Barryform.
      I won't get into a slanging match about Sky support, suffice to say that they are no worse than many and much much better than most.
      99.5% of BB problems like yours are down to your own internal wiring, so have a good read on this site and come back if/when you need some help with it.
      As a first off,try and find out which is your master socket and see if it has a test socket.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, I'll take a look tonight and post them tomorrow

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast