Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Worst Service Ever So Far!

This is a discussion on Worst Service Ever So Far! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Brian, I'll take a look at it tonight and see if it has one, then do a test with the ...

barryfrom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Worst Service Ever So Far!

Brian, I'll take a look at it tonight and see if it has one, then do a test with the phone.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What you need to do is connect your router to the test socket and see if this solves your problem. If it does, then the problem is in your internal set up.
      If you do not have a test socket, then finding the master can be a problem as all the sockets will look the same. One will be the master, and you can tell by looking inside, one will contain components and the others will not, you will know when you find it as it will be differant to all the others.
      You then need to remove the wire or wires connected to terminal 3 of the master and see if this solves your problem.

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      but its down to training. Sky offer support for only Sky supported products so if your line packed in you'd be stuck as you wouldn't have a Sky router so would just be told 'tough!!'
      Sorry, but I can't accept that as an excuse. I work in IT and have had to be able to deal with Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/2003 R2/Vista/2008, as well as Exchange 5.5 thru 2007, SharePoint 200x, SQL 200x, ISA 200x, firewalls, security, VPN, VoIP, web design, bespoke apps, cabling, patch panels, switches, routers, wireless, video conferencing etc etc, as well as keeping upto date with new technology.

ISP's shouldn't be employing people who no nothing about their job. They should be employing people who know a broad-range of routers and how to configure/support them.

Would taxi companies employ people who can't drive? I think not.

Sorry to go off topic, but that is a lame*** excuse for not using your own hardware.

Thanks

Would you put up with abuse, and shifts for little more than minimum wage. I would not.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well there's only one phone socket in the lounge so I presume that's got to be the master one. I don't mind using the test socket if I can find it but I don't really want to be removing wires from the sockets. I could end up messing everything up with no experience of it then I'd probably get charged by BT for a callout for manually altering the sockets.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

They should be employing people who know a broad-range of routers and how to configure/support them.
      Any other ISP that lets you use your own router, charges you a lot more for your connection.

Sky's business model is built on cheap / free broadband to be used with their router, and their router only. Hence why Sky only train their staff on Sky's router.

Whether or not it is right, (I personally agree that if a user is savvy enough then they should be able to use their own router) but for Sky to train or pay the wages for people who are to become CST agents that know everything about routers, as well as Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/2003 R2/Vista/2008, as well as Exchange 5.5 thru 2007, SharePoint 200x, SQL 200x, ISA 200x, firewalls, security, VPN, VoIP, web design, bespoke apps, cabling, patch panels, switches, routers, wireless, video conferencing etc etc, then I am sure, you could pretty much agree the wage to employ that person would have to be a lot higher, and which in turn would increase our subs.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

O.k Barry, see how you go.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ldoodle View Post
      Sorry, but I can't accept that as an excuse. I work in IT and have had to be able to deal with Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/2003 R2/Vista/2008, as well as Exchange 5.5 thru 2007, SharePoint 200x, SQL 200x, ISA 200x, firewalls, security, VPN, VoIP, web design, bespoke apps, cabling, patch panels, switches, routers, wireless, video conferencing etc etc, as well as keeping upto date with new technology.

ISP's shouldn't be employing people who no nothing about their job. They should be employing people who know a broad-range of routers and how to configure/support them.

Would taxi companies employ people who can't drive? I think not.

Sorry to go off topic, but that is a lame*** excuse for not using your own hardware.
      I couldn't agree more and that's always been a gripe of mine. What ever happened to the good old days of tech support when you would phone someone up who knew about computers. These guys aren't tech support, they're just customer services with a different screen in front of them.

I don't blame these guys, it's not their fault they have the jobs they do, the responsilbility falls down to Sky. We're paying a premium rate every time we're calling these places so there's no excuse for them to be employing poorly trained Indian call centre workers for next to no money. Half the reason the calls I make to tech support take so long is because they people on the end of the call have a single procedure they follow for every call, instead of having a inbuilt knowledge of computers and using that as a starting point. For example, the call last night, obviously because the worker was reading from a script went a little like this:

SKY: Ok, can you try and open a webpage and see what you get?
      ME: Well, the modem's only getting a local only connection so it's not connecting to the internet.
      SKY: (long pause as this has obviously thrown him off his script) Ok, so just go ahead and try and open a web page for me.

It went on with similar scenarios makingwhat should have been a 5 minute call about 40 minutes.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also, Tiscali TV, Broadband and Phone was about the same price as Sky and they allowed me to use whatever modem I wanted in my old address. Granted the TV service wasn;t as good but as you're paying for the phone call to Tech Support there's no excuse for them not to have computer savvy staff

ldoodle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I am not saying they should know everything I listed (afterall we don't ring ISP's for help with installing Word), nor do I expect them to know 'proper' routers at the infrastructure level (Cisco stuff etc). My point being that I have to know what to do with a vast variety of equipment and cannot use "Sorry, i'm not trained with that equipment so cannot install/configure/support it"

I am simply saying they should at least know how to support a few of the popular branded home-based routers such as Netgear, Belkin, D-Link etc.

I do however agree with Sky's decision to force the use of their router if/when they roll-out things like IPTV, which will require advanced capabilities on the router.

Anyway, that is for another thread...
      Last edited by ldoodle; 12-06-08 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast