Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT fixed my line!!! Phone now doesn't disconnect Bband.

This is a discussion on BT fixed my line!!! Phone now doesn't disconnect Bband. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Following an earlier post, I thought Id take the time the tell you about my problems I had and the ...

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT fixed my line!!! Phone now doesn't disconnect Bband.

Following an earlier post, I thought Id take the time the tell you about my problems I had and the resolution. Ive only had the sky bband for around 3 months or so. first few weeks connection was fine. Then we had bad winds and main line to house snapped. BT did come out and put new line up and again a few days later after I discovered we had next doors number!!! Ever since then my connection was not great. It would go for 5 days or so, with no disconnects then one morning I would have found it would have rebooted over night and connected at some ridicoulus speed....ie 160kbps.Also every time the phone rang or I used the phone the noise margin would increase and my internet would cut off. After numerous reboots and maybe a day it might go up again and the problem would go away again for maybe a few days. I had tried everything, replaceing everything including getting another router from Sky.

The issues I was having had become more frequent with also crackles and pops on the line, line becomming unstable and the phone disconnecting the broadband. A few weeks ago the problem became permanant. This is where the fun and games started. I contacted Sky numerous times about my problem, the fact that I was always speaking to india didn't help my problem.
      They told me I needed to contact BT as the lines are theirs....I tried to explain to them that I pay line rental to them so they are to sort it. They didn't want to know. So I tried BT and got absolutely no where. Because I have no account of any sorts with BT they could not help me. This happened 2 or 3 times getting passed to and fro. I eventually got through to someone who said they would log it with BT and someone would call me back within 24 to 48hrs.... 4 days later I had heard nothing.
      In the end I got fed up with paying for the calls and also getting told incorrect information on who is liable and not having a call back, I managed to find the number for the switch board and asked to get through to customer relations. I spoke to a nice lady and explained my problems, she said she would credit my account 10 for this month because of my problems I have been having. She then went on to say she wil speak to her friend and see if he can help and that she will get him to phone back within the hour.
      1 hour later the guy called Tim phoned me back and to be honest he couldn't have been more helpful. We went through everything one more time, then he booked an engineer for the very next morning and said he would phone me the next afternoon to see how I got on. Fantasic I thought.
      8 o'clock the next morning a BT guy turned up. I wouldn't say he was very old and from what I got from him he had only been on the job 5 years, 3 of which were trainning. He managed to replicate the problem, where the phone was screwing up the connection. He changed master socket, nothing changed. He then drove off for an hour or so the to exchange to have a look, he came back, no problem there. He then went off further up the road and 30mins later I then got a call from him. He said the problems not here either.

This is the bit that got to me....He said he cant do any more because he is only allowed 2hrs on a job!!!!! and that I would have to arrange another engineer to come out. This is when I lost it. Asking him who told him that, he said company policy!!!!!. I hung up the phone in disbelief in what he had just said.

So I got back on to customer solutions...Spoke to another guy and told him my problem I had encountered with BT. He said he would phone me back.

A few hours later Tim from Sky phoned up again to see how it all went.
      He couldn't believe it when I told him what the the BT guy had said about only working for 2hrs. He said he would get on to BT to sort it.

An hour later the other guy phoned me back saying he had spoken to BT and that the BT engineer had closed the fault!! He proceeded to try and book an engineer, while at the very same time I was on my mobile to the guy, Tim from Sky phoned on my landline!!!! so now I got 2 guys from Sky at my disposal!!!. I politely told the guy that Tim was phoning me on the other line, although he had never heard of a Tim.

Tim went on that he had booked me ANOTHER apointment by BT for this morning. Once again he said he would phone back this afternoon.

Bt arrived at 9.10am. He could see the problem I was having with my router as soon as I picked up the phone. Although the problem would not really happen when he connected using his BT voyager modem....why this happened I dont know. But after 30mins or so testing socket, using the software on his laptop he took to looking outside.

Here is to where the solution was to be found.
      When the cable was replaced 3 months or so ago the BT guy had not ran the cable straight down to my house, but had infact wrapped it around the two main electricity cables running across from my house to the next house! This could quite easily have caused interference. He also replaced the joints on the joint box on my house and also the joints on the first telegraph pole to my house.

BINGO!!! my router plugged back in, noise margin was spot on and a decent sync rate of 2048kbps. When the phone was used the noise did not budge!!!!
      Im grateful I got a decent engineer 2nd time round how could see and understand my problem and actually cared. He was pretty chilled out about the whole thing and said "well its my job, its what I get paid for". Respect to the guy.

Tim the sky guy phoned my mobile at 12 today to see how it went, he thought the connection was down but I was just putting all my gear back in the attic. I told him it was all fixed, he sounded suprised. He said he would phone back again in 15mins once I had got it all back up and running so that he could increase my upstream and changed my max delay back to 8 again after it obviously had been messed around with somewhere along the line! as I had requested.

He phoned back 15mins later, upstream corrected, ping lowered, noise spot on and downstream fine.

1856k/768k noise margin of 8. Pings I get are 33ms.

He says that BT are trying to charge them for the work...well infact it was BT's fault in the first place which had left me with a very poor connection, intermittant problems and generally a poor service. I believe sky are going to log a complaint against BT.

Overall rating of Sky.....? not that bad. The problem turned out not to be theres, its just that there customer service can let them down big time sometimes. If you ever get thorugh to a foreign country I have been told by Sky that you can ask to be connected to a UK call center and they they will not be insulted. I found myself going round in circles with this problem until I got fed up and dialed to their switch board, where things became easier.

Heres the number If anyone wants it, ask to be put through to customer relations its only once your there that I actually saw something being done.

02077053000, free if you have sky talk

I also take my hat off to Tim, who was the only guy who actaully kept his word and saw me through the problem.
      Last edited by tobys550; 11-06-08 at 04:31 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: BT fixed my line!!! Phone now doesn't disconnect Bband.

Nice to see you got it sorted. I was having problems like that (Phone cuts out BB) since last november, Sky just basically said it was the filters etc then i finally got red up and told BT who just came round replaced the pairs, and cables.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

right thanks toby for the post looks like im gonna have to do the talking

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

well that was a saga and a half

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
      well that was a saga and a half
      Maybe I could write a novel.... "Sky the ultimate experience" lol

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

no call it sky: to by or not to by

get it? lols

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samperry209 View Post
      no call it sky: to by or not to by

get it? lols
      You twitty!!!!! lol yer i get it hahah