Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky BB problem

This is a discussion on Sky BB problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello We been with ntl (Virgin Media) for the past 10 -15 years ever since they installed cables under our ...

HSH85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky BB problem

Hello

We been with ntl (Virgin Media) for the past 10 -15 years ever since they installed cables under our street. It was just recently we moved away to a newly built, non-cable area. Now Iím a heavy internet user, I wasnít sure whatís the best ADSL broadband isp for me, and the family. We decided to get Sky+, and they were offering free broadband. So I talked about broadband packaging they were offering. Since I am heavy internet user, and were offering £5 extra for 8MB/400k (40GB monthly) I thought this was the best package for me and the family. Now Iím new to the whole ADSL thing, but Iím well aware about the exchange phone distance issue. I wasnít expecting to get anywhere near 8MB, but I wasnít expecting to get really low speeds. I never had problems with VM 4MB package, but now with Sky Iím getting 0.7MB download, upload speed seems fine.
      I looked around the forum, mainly the ďSpeed tests and how to get better resultsĒ section. After looking around, I found a post about Line Attenuation, and showed a chart of how much each Line Attenuation can handle. It says I may get 2MB with 63.5db, but Iím not getting anything close to that.
      Is this the best speed I can get? 0.7MB? I downloaded some files from Microsoft site, just to test out how fast my internet really is. Iím only getting 81Kb/ps average. Now Iím a gamer as well, and Iím getting extremely bad pings on euro servers, something around about 130-150.
      I phoned Skyís technical help department, and, as usual I didnít get much improvement.

So now Iím here, asking for your expertise. Any help?

Oh and hi everyone

2. Advertisement
      Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky BB problem

Hello mate,

Mind posting your router stats from here.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/blogs...ess-router-66/

For bad pings see If you have poor pings on Sky Broadband

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Before we get to the post your stats bit, there are one or two things to check.
      (1) Find your master socket, and remove the face plate.
      This should expose a test socket. Check that you have a dial tone at it and having dial a single digit, check that the line just has a low hiss, no pops or crackels.
      (2) With the face plate removed and the test socket exposed, check that all other telephone sockets have no dial tone, this is important, there should only be a dial tone at the test socket.

If all is o.k, post a set of stats from the socket you normal use, and a second set from the test socket.

Are you using wireless? if so try a test using cable between the router and pc

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It says I may get 2MB with 63.5db
      As I remarked in another post, I think 63.5 is as high as the router reads. You true attenuation could be much higher. This, together with possible internal wiring faults, will keep you speed down unfortunately.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

unfortunately simply due to the location of the new house, unless there is something MAJORLY wrong with the line's setup, with the worst faults like... ever... there is no way that you will get much better speeds than from your test socket (this is with any and every isp)

check from the test socket, but if there is no luck there, its just an impossibility without a relaying of new lines such as cable.

HSH85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't know why the downstream says 672 on 'Before' picture, yestarday it was 864.

'After' results was from test socket (master socket).
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky BB problem-before.jpg   Sky BB problem-after.jpg  

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Good news there. Your Test socket increased your SNR margin which is a good thing. Now a high SNR would indicate a cap but with Sky testing DLM it cant be said for sure.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

'After' results was from test socket (master socket)
      Do you mean this was from the actual Test socket, which is inside the Master socket or from the Master socket? ie Did you remove the front plate to plug it in?

Either way, an increase in the SNR and sync on the 'after' stats show you have a slight problem with your wiring. To be honest it is difficult to say what is happening as you also appear to be capped. As Monday says this could be due to the DLM, which will raise and lower your sync speed according to line conditions, to give you the fastest possible stable speed. The rise in your sync speed would seem to suggest this, as a manual cap would not allow your speed to increase. If this is the case and it is not working to your advantage, you may have to request Sky to manually configure your line. Maybe someone could advise if I am interpreting this correctly and advise you of your next move?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ring up or email sky and get them to uncap you, you look like you can maybe manage 2.5-3mbit

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

If he has DLM running on his line they will do nothing till it completes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast