Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky have decided to retrain my line.

This is a discussion on Sky have decided to retrain my line. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It is rate adaptive in the sense that it will sync to the best speed when the router connects to ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky have decided to retrain my line.

It is rate adaptive in the sense that it will sync to the best speed when the router connects to the exchange. If line conditions change, as they always do, no adjustment will be made to the speed. The only time the connection speed will change is if the router is resynced. Dynamic Line Management does the adjustments automatically.

Sky agree to supply an 'up to given speed', if your line is bad, that is not their fault. Capping the line is simply manual line management. When DLM is fully implemented (and it works) capping should be a thing of the past.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      scothebest is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: MID
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have 53 db noise margin and it runs fine

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is rate adaptive in the sense that it will sync to the best speed when the router connects to the exchange. If line conditions change, as they always do, no adjustment will be made to the speed. The only time the connection speed will change is if the router is resynced. Dynamic Line Management does the adjustments automatically.

Sky agree to supply an 'up to given speed', if your line is bad, that is not their fault. Capping the line is simply manual line management. When DLM is fully implemented (and it works) capping should be a thing of the past.
      funnily enough people were fine without DLM and now find DLM is effectively capping their line via over the top snr margins.

Thanks

I am not trying to defend Sky, I think the way they have handled this is disgraceful, but they are trying to update the technology used on their network. One of the big complaints, from Max users especially, is, why am I on G.DMT and not ADSL2+? This technology allows ADSL2+ to operate properly on lines which would not normally support it, where G.DMT was necessary before. It may also benefit some Mid users by increasing their speed, although the benefits are likely to be slight.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

isitme what was stopping them moving people to adsl2 manually? doesnt need a dlm to do that.

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^
      It depends on the line. Some lines can handle it OK, but as the attenuation rises the benefit of ADSL2+ decreases on a manually configured line. DLM allows lines with higher attenuations to operate efficiently without continually dropping out. There have been cases on the forum in the past, where lines set to 2+ had to be capped so low that G.DMT performed better. With DLM operating properly, and I emphasise properly, this should not be the case.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Whatever DLM does a operator can do it, how does DLM benefit customers who prefer speed over stability?

Thanks

Yes an operator can do it by capping the line to a particular speed, which you complained about in a previous post. I believe if a user is unhappy with his/her connection after DLM has completed the test period, the line can be returned to manual configuration. You could probably demand that you be returned to manual without capping, but I doubt Sky, or any other ISP, would be interested in any complaints you had after that. There is not much point in having a 16 Mb connection if it drops out every few minutes, due to a crappy line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is not much point in having a 16 Mb connection if it drops out every few minutes, due to a crappy line.
      Hi m8, i agree entirely with that statement, however people who can achieve a 16Mb sync are unlikely to have a crappy line. There are quite a few with high speed stable lines that seem to have been targeted with this dlm process when there has been no need.
      Like you said sky havnt handled this very well, but their track record would suggest that we shouldnt be surprised by this, google mail being one example.

Thanks

There are quite a few with high speed stable lines that seem to have been targeted with this dlm process when there has been no need.
      I agree entirely! I would have thought Sky would have used the poorer connections as the guinea pigs, but if their intention is to roll it out across the board, I suppose they had to include some good lines. One thing that confuses me is if they do intend to roll it out, why do they not start of new connections using DLM? This would ensure lines were given their best speed right away, instead of users having to phone up and repeatedly ask for the speed to be increased. It would also reduce the amount of inconvenience for users as it would be over and done with, instead of having to look forward to it messing the connection about in the future. I am one of those who have not been included in the trial, but I look forward with trepidation to it being applied to my line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast