Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line problems.

This is a discussion on Line problems. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi... I recently moved to a new house, and switched from Virgin to sky tv, phone and broadband. The phone ...

no_name is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line problems.

Hi...

I recently moved to a new house, and switched from Virgin to sky tv, phone and broadband. The phone and tv have been set up without any major problems, but getting broadband has proved difficult, to say the least.

When we moved we were told there were broadband lines connected into the house, and that it would be a case of getting sky out to give us a modem and switch it on. Sky said they would fit a signal splitter to a phone line in the house to allow an internet connection to be established from the phone line, which I found odd, as I've never heard of a 16mb phone line. We were assured that we would be able to get broadband, even if it wasn't the full 16mb speed. However, when we went to set up the account for 8mb broadband, we were told by a technician that the line was actually only a 512k line, and that the BT line was either too far from the local exchange, or it was just a slow line that needed to be sped up.

So my question is, how do I go about getting a faster line installed? Does all Sky broadband use BT lines, and does that mean I'll have to pay BT to come out and pull cables up to allow a faster line to be put in, then pay Sky -again- to install the internet?

Any help here would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Line problems.

Move closer to the exchange is the only option if its a distance issue. Sky uses the BT line so either you are a looong way from the exchange or your line is not very good.
      If you are close to the exchange and your line conditions are ok you can get up to 16mb no problem, any issues on the line or if you are a over a set distance from exchange and you are going to struggle.
      The "splitter" was probably the adsl filter that plugs into the main socket, you plug the telephone into one socket on it and the adsl modem into the other. Did you look into what ADSL was and what constraints there could be before signing?

Darzo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NIGGY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

there is an even simpler way of over coming this!!! i work in sky broadband so the easyist option would be to ring sky broadband up and go through all of teir 1 trooble shooting which is basically your phsical setup. then you will be transfered to our CST team. the CST team will then do tests on your line and they can also increase the your speed if need be. they will do a number of tests and will speed up your line. now on the other hand if you are miles away from your local exchange and i mean miles then, that is the speed that you will be stuck with but i dout that is the situation so like i said if you get in contact with sky we will be happy to look and find out what the problem is and solve it by increasing your speed!!!!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

stats would help a LOT more than calling Sky just yet...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket